Fish selection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nylith

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I have some questions for you guys and I want to hear different opinions that you have.

I got 112L fish tank, filled it with water and waiting till he is cycled. Now that I have time I am thinking about what fish should I add if I want community fish tank. What do you think about this selection?

1.6x Swordtails (Already have 3 of them, from my other fish tank)

2.6x Neon Tetras (blue ones)

3.6x Guppies (Not sure about them, because I don’t want to overcrowd my tank and I heard that they can fin nip my Pearl Gourami)

4.2x Bristlenose Pleco

5.1x Pearl Gourami

Should I change something or is it pretty well established? Also if it’s okay I would like to know in what order should I buy these fishes when adding to my tank, having in mind that I already have 3 Swordtails.

I have 75w heater and Aquael FAN3 (700 lph) + Aquael mini (260 lph) filters. Also should I upgrade my heater? I don’t have any problems with my water temperature (steady 27C).

Ok...I'm a yank. Gotta convert numbers.
Your tank is 112L = 29.5g

I would not do 2 BN Plecos. 1 would be more than enough.

6 Swords is a lot in that size tank as they are sooo active...but it may be just fine.

Neons...awesome fish. May be able to bump up to 8-10 later.

Pearl Gourami ? This is about Min tank size for them...so I'd pick a young nice male and let him grow up.

The Guppies shouldn't nip. But you may want to avoid females. So they don't overbreed.

27C = 80F. That's too warm for Neons. They like 76F. I compromise and keep mine around 78F.
Warm enough for my Cory sterbai but not too hot for my Neons.

The above is all JMHO

YMMV

I love my Pearl boy excuse the crappy pics and my GS Algae.
IMG_3279.jpgIMG_3277.jpg

Listen to Coursair. Good info. But I have to ask....do you REALLY need to out any plecos in this tank? With your other fish selections, I would suggest going with a different type of algae eater in this tank. Any pleco is going to produce an extraordinary amount of waste...save that “space” for all those other fish you want. Instead, look into a nice large snail or maybe a few small ones. Or, if you don't like snails, you can try some shrimp. Many to choose from! Or even some smaller algae eating fish such as otos. So many other options that would work better with your tank.

If you're set on BN pleco, definitely don't put more than one in that tank. I have one in my 55g (about 220L) community tank and he generates more poop than all the other 30ish fish combined! I honestly want a bigger tank just because of him! Lol

Good luck!

Although I've only recently returned to the hobby, I also have a 29 gallon. So far my clean-up crew are 2 corydoras, 6 ghost shrimp, 2 mystery snails and 1 nerite snail. All are busy full-time (except the smaller cory, which sort of stops what he's doing and zones out for a few minutes every once in awhile ;) ) Maybe you can try a small school of corys instead? I've heard 5 is a good number and they do seem to enjoy each other's company, but I'm not sure if 29 gallons is big enough for that many. As I said, I'm just getting back into the hobby.

With the number of livebearers you're thinking of, you're going to have a good amount of waste produced. Between my 4 platies, it seems at least one of them always has a string coming out of it. Beautiful fish and very rewarding to own, but messy!

Hey I know a lot of people would call this overcrowding but. I think what you could do is have

4 male guppies
3 otocibclus
7 neons
And pearl gouramis need ditherfish so the tetras will really help
If you really want to you could get a trio (1 male 2 females) of South American dwarf cichlids. I suggest agazzisi or Bolivian Butterflies.

I know this doesn't have a lot of your fish in it but it would be a fabulous looking community tank??

Hey I know a lot of people would call this overcrowding but. I think what you could do is have

4 male guppies
3 otocibclus
7 neons
And pearl gouramis need ditherfish so the tetras will really help
If you really want to you could get a trio (1 male 2 females) of South American dwarf cichlids. I suggest agazzisi or Bolivian Butterflies.

I know this doesn't have a lot of your fish in it but it would be a fabulous looking community tank[emoji16][emoji28]

I would not attempt a trio. The extra female would prob get killed off. IME

In a 29g with plenty of plants you could easily have 4-5 Otocinclus. But they would be added last.

You don't need algae eaters. Control Algae via timer on lights , water changes and not overfeeding and lots of plants.

1.6x Swordtails (Already have 3 of them, from my other fish tank)

Unless you really like them, I would suggest dropping swordtails. they can get big and are pretty active and all over the place from what i have heard. but that is just my opinion. I have never had them.

2.6x Neon Tetras (blue ones)
I would bump up the numbers to 10-12 of these. they are schooling fish so the more you have the more natural behavior you will see.

3.6x Guppies (Not sure about them, because I don’t want to overcrowd my tank and I heard that they can fin nip my Pearl Gourami)
I started off with guppies. 5 males. they started getting a little rambunctious and so i added females to calm them down. then i suffered from population explosions. then my males would get a little aggressive towards each other and the females (i'm told this isn't normal or average behavior but some people say guppies can have their own personalities and I might just have some jerks). I would say cut the guppies because they aren't really schoolers and will just be randomly throughout your tank and you will lose some uniformity and aesthetic beauty.....though they can be quite pretty. I wouldnt bother with them if i were you. I'm stuck with mine haha

4.2x Bristlenose Pleco.
I agree that you only need one but that is only if you really want one. I got one for my fifty five and people suggested a bristenose because they stay small and they get along with others in the tank. Mine is starting to get a little territorial and she is a huge eater. I have to feed her at least two algae wafers a day to keep up with her. you also need driftwood for them.
I would say get something different. like one mystery snail, or ottocinclus. I love my mystery snails. more enjoyable than you would think. ottocinclus need to be in groups of at least five and they need to be added to an established tank. you also need to supplement their diet with algae wafers too they can't really sustain on naturally occurring algae in a tank by itself.

5.1x Pearl Gourami
I think they are beautiful and have been tossing the idea of getting one as a centerpiece fish myself.

I know i basically told you to get rid of 3/5 of your list so I'll suggest something in return haha. I think you should get a bottom dweller. many people love corydoras. I would look up fish on youtube to see how they move and their personalities to see if i would like them in my tank. there are a bunch of different types and they have great personalities. they need a softer substrate like sand so their barbels don't get damaged. and the recommended minimum is 5 but I think you should get at least 8-10. the more in a group the more natural behavior you will see.

I also LOVE my kuhli loaches. they tend to hide a lot but when they get to moving they move. though their movement can be unsettling to some i think they are really neat. they also need a sand substrate and need to be in groups of at least 7.

Good luck and i hope you have fun with the hobby!

Back
Top Bottom