Fish suggestions and questions for new 125 project tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sulla

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello I am coming along nicely an my new 125 and am starting to think more about what kind of fish I want when I am done with the background http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=31078 . Keep in mind that with the background installed I think I am going to be around 70 - 85 gallons. Any way since I have a some like PH9 directly out of our well I am going to try and stick with fish that will do OK without treating the water. I am looking strongley at Gouramis as I think they can take the higher PH - will not rearange the tank like Oscars - are very colorfull and over all not to bad a fish to care for. I have also thought about have a large school or silver dollars but I am not sure how they will do in the high PH, does any on have any experence with this? I have also thought about african cichlids like a Frontosa but I am not sure if they will rearange the tank like my Oscar always did.

Either way I will probobly also get a small species of plecostomus and a few larger snales.

Also I can normaly only keep the temp around 82 at the lowest in the summer until the new house is built and the tank will have lots of very large plastic plants and rock cover but no real plants.

Any way please give me any advice you can I really need it:)

Hi Sulla and welcome to AA. A 125g is an awesome tank. I'm a bit confused though. Are you sure your PH is 9 from the tap? That just seems very high to me. What are you using to test your PH?

Yes you are exactly right it had been a long time since I tested it:) The kit from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Ink only goes to PH7.6 and is at least that high. But you are right probobly not PH9. I need to pick up a better kit when I get a chance in the next few days.

Your average gourami is going to prefer softer, acidic water to what may be hard, alkaline water in your area. All I can think of is livebearers and African cichlids. With a 125 you can really create an impressive display for Africans, but I'm not partial or nothin'... :wink:

Definitely get the "high pH range" kit from AP and double-check your tap water, as well as GH and KH just to get a good idea of what you have.

I am totally in awe of the background you are creating, and I can see why Asian fishes would fit the bill. Post back with your water params and let's hash this out - this tank requires the perfect fish, and we'll be thrilled to live vicariously and help you stock it! :D

After viewing your background Sulla, all I can say is WOW.

That's awesome. I'm guessing except for a few rocks and caves you won't need any other decor? I would definitely go with larger fish. :wink:

Well I ran by Pet Depot while I was in town today I picked up some multitest strips until I can get a nice kit. From the test it looks like...

PH pegged again at the limit of the new test 8.4

Total Alkalinity (KH)PPM looks like 300 or higher the strip went from white 0 to dark green for 300 but to me it looked dark blue?:) But I figure the darker the higher so 300 or higher going by just the darkness of the color.

Total Hardness (Gh)ppm 25 (very soft) it says.

So what do you think?

Africans!

Sulla
You don't live in Marshall Texas do ya? My water tests the same with PH 9 and higher! My water is coming from a city water supply though, it is also very alkaline, this is why I decided to go with African Cichlids in my setup and it has worked out very well, just change the water with no additives except for chlorine and ammonia remover.. The fishes bodily functions alone will bring the PH down a little and the Africans love the high PH, they would also go really nice with that beautiful background..hey, I stocked my tank with Africans from Wal-mart at $5.00 each and now they are big and beautiful..I would definately go with African Cichlids!

fish.JPG

Donnie I live in the Cleburne area not sure how far it is from Marshal cant remember where Marshal is off hand. I am wanting to say east Texas?

I have thought I lot about the African Cichlids and I like they way the look and I think they would really like the water like you said. The only thing I dont like about them is they like to rearange the tank or atleast my other cichlid did a large oscar. I could not keep any plastic plants as he would always dig them up. But what I have been thinking is that maybe I could get some smaller cichlids and secure the plants really well then they would not be able to move them. What do you think?

I live outside Ft. Worth and have well water with similar properties. Unfortunately I also found that it also had a high level of silicates, so I had constant diatom algae problems. I tried a whole bunch of things to fix it, Tap Water Purifier & phosphate/silicon absorbers, which helped but weren't very cost effective. Ultimately, I started buying water from the lfs. This can be a pain to set up a new tank, but afterwards it's easy. This also allows you to create whatever pH you want to keep whatever fish you want. A little more trouble, but something to keep in mind.

Your background is going to be soo cool. I would like to see some large clown loaches against it! But, they can be very shy sometimes, and pH needs to be a little lower.

Back
Top Bottom