Fish tank won’t cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JaredShope1

Aquarium Advice Activist
It’s been about a month and my 10 gal aquarium won’t cycle. I get 0.25-0.50 PPM ammonia readings every day for the past month. I have an API master test kit. I have 2 juvenile mollies and 2 juvie platys. I have no chlorine in my water, it is well water. I had a tank before that used to get Nitrate readings. I do turn off my filter when I feed my fish, but I have to because it will blow the food everywhere. I also have a bubbler which I did hear sometimes gets rid of ammonia. What should I do?

Tell us more about your setup. What type filter do you have? What media are you using? What type substrate are you using? How often are you performing water changes?

Tell us more about your setup. What type filter do you have? What media are you using? What type substrate are you using? How often are you performing water changes?

I’m using gravel, and I do a water change and vacuum every 2-4 days. I have a tetra whisper P10 (just a hang on the back). Just has a bio bag.

Depending on how aggressively you are cleaning the gravel, you could be removing the beneficial bacteria necessary to cycle your tank. Also, are you cleaning the filter media, which is another for the BB?

With a fish in cycle and low ammonia you can bet on a two to three month cycle process. Give it another month or two. Keep doing what you are doing. Go light on the gravel vacs. Just the surface, not deep into the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom