fishles cycle not possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just started my first fishless cycle...you can get ammonia in any department store that carries cleaning products, although it won't be pure ammonia.

The ammonia I'm ussing is called Goldex ammonia (only 5% ammonia, 95% water). Just make sure it says nothings added like colors or phophates. I think someone else already mentioned this, but if you're unsure of any additives shake it up and see if it bubbles for more then a second. And DO NOT attempt to smell for any fragrance. I made the mistake of testing to see if it smelled like lemony fresh or some house cleaner, good god 8O , almost passed out.

Here's the recipe I'm following http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/profiles/misc/fishlesscycling.html.

Also I'd suggest you get some gravel from an established tank, a fish store could be risky for diseases but it might be a safer bet if your other tank has ick.

Gravel from an established tank will help it cycle faster then the normal time of 4-6 weeks. I added gravel from my 10 gal, I'm on my 9th day and the ammonia cycle finished on day 6.

Goodluck :)

!

joannde said:
My bad for not looking at the location ! Sorry about that. Now we need to get Ace to do a global expansion ! LOL

Send one up here too LOL.

Good luck with the cycle!

I used shrimp for my fishless cycle and it only tooks 3 weeks (2 weeks and 6 days to be precise). It is true that the shrimp gets gross (you can see a picture of mine on the FW picture contest- a bit of a joke- ;) ) And it does smell, but only for about 3 days... still... if the tank is at the end of your bed I guess that would be a long 3 days.

Goodluck.

Anything you can take out of the other tank and put into the new tank will speed up the cycle. Gravel, filter floss, tank ornament, anything.

WOW, thank you so much for the tips, im still looking around for some ammonia, but i think i might be in luck, from a mate,
but only for about 3 days... still... if the tank is at the end of your bed I guess that would be a long 3 days.
yeah it would be a long three days lol so i'll use that as a lest resort.
As for using other tanks to help, im going to try and avoid that as i really dont wont to start with a tank that has a disease in it.

I'll keep you posted and thanks for the help.

Yay i got my first gold fish!! lol :D i wonder what number you need to get 2 gold fish!!! :wink:

OM i think iv got 2 breeding fish, but i dont now, i'll get some pics up could some please help!!!! i'll start a new post in the frshwater - breeding

Back
Top Bottom