Fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calvin and Kyle

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay doing a fishless cycle now. Ammonia is currently at a 1.0. Went to this over night from a .5. Introduced some filter media to help speed this up.

Tank has been up and running for about 2 and a half weeks. Should I try to kick up the ammonia? Using food flakes.

Put fish food in yesterday. Tested today. Pretty much exact same levels? I'm confused I thought ammonia would have increased at least a little? Help? Recommendation?

Have you been using food the whole time to fishless cycle.? The reason I ask is because it takes a lot of food to raise it up plus it has to start breaking down. Imo I would do a big water change and make sure you get all the food out. Test the water and if ammonia and nitrite are reading zero then add a couple little fish at a time every few days. Only add if the water is still testing good. Keep a good eye on it and do water changes as needed. Doing a fish on cycle will be much faster easier and cheaper in the long run. The only other option Imo would be to take shrimp from uour local grocery store and
lgthrow it in the tank to cycle that way.

Everyone always tells me fishless is easier and quicker? And I'm gonna be gone for 4 days in Florida. So I can't really manage the fish while I'm gone. So I'm thinking piece of shrimp might be my option.

With shrimp you have to be able to take it in and out but you could just leave it in while your gone to keep ammonia in the tank plus it has to start breaking down. Most people that do fishless use the ammonia in a bottle and add it. The shrimp would probably be best Imo while your gone. Once it starts to break down it will start to smell. You can throw it out and add a new shrimp. Id add a new one before you leave for Florida so you don't return to a stinky house.

Lol ahh man this sucks! I was actually born without a sense of smell.. So that kinda makes that tricky! I'll get a bottle of ammonia! Throw the shrimp in right before I leave for the airport, pull it out when I get home water test, and use the bottled stuff.

Okay! I got that ultra special only seemingly found at ace hardware ammonia. I dosed my tank up to about a 4.5. Gonna leave in about an hour for Florida, test when I get back? Does this sound like the right thing to do?

Yeah! If its reduced just boost it back up? And if its gone do the same to see if it can handle it over night, right?

I'm back! My ammonia level is about a 4.0 so. But! My nitrites are at a 10.0 or higher. And nitrates are at 20.

Well I wanna say it was a 4.5 or 5.0 when I left. But I did put food in there as well before hand so it's possible it got higher.

Back
Top Bottom