fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sir_dudeguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How do you do a fishless cycle? Doesnt it take less time than a regular cycle w/fish? And which is better?
thanks

Im not sure witch method is better...

I think that it is more a matter of preferences. I am currently using the fishless cycle with clear ammonia. I was kind of scared about the smell of decaying matters in my tank since it sits right beside my bed.

If I remember well, Menagerie was talking about trying fishless cycling with a shrimp and come back to us with more info about the smell of the whole process...

Okay, when I do my next fishless (assuming this will be before Bio-Spira is available again, LOL) I'll use a shrimp and report back with the sniff test.

He popularized the idea, to be sure, but I don't think Chris Cow started it - it was being done by a few hobbyists, but made popular by it being posted on the internet.

I have not found it to be faster, though Chris does state that it is faster in his first article. The only way it might be faster is that with fish in the tank you have to keep the ammonia level low so the fish will stay alive, by doing water changes usually, and without fish you don't have to worry about it. Just dump the ammonia in every day and walk away. It is just easier. You still have to be patient and some people find it intolerable to look at an empty tank for 3-6 weeks, but to me it is well worth it, and I don't see a tank of water and decorations to be an eyesore.

Definitely read the article posted above, as well as info here and on many, many other sites- there is tons of info out there about cycling fishless. I think you have to try it and see what you think. It also gives you time to plan out your tank - I find that I change my mind several times and am glad I did not go with my initial stocking plan once the whole process is over.

Good luck!

I've used the ammonia method to cyle a tank without fishes, but it was for a marine tank using this guide: http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/cycling.shtml

It took about a month, but I was pleased overall. Just make sure it is pure ammonia without detergents, perfume, or other additives and do a major water change before adding stock to it.

My next large tank I plan to use alot of plants, which I am told I don't need to cycle.

Back to planning everything I need for my 140g tank... :D

Mothi, that is absolutely right, and is a great way to "skip" the cycle. If the plants are thriving and growing well they will uptake the ammonia and the fish won't feel any pain!

so, you're saying that if the tank has lots of plants that are doing good, that you dont have to really wait for it to cycle? In the past, i just did a cycle w/platies and swordtails in my 40 gal. tank. It took about 6 weeks i think and 3 swordtails jumped out of the little whole that i cut for my filter hoses. This tank was not planted though, just plastic ones.
But now i'm thinkin of doing a fishless cycle on my 28 gal. How much does the amonia cost? would it be cheaper than buying platies and such?
Also, the tank is gonna have playsand from home depot ($4 for a 50 lb. bag).
Is this good enough to grow some beginners plants?
And could i just use a shop light from home depot too, and just put an aquarium bulb in it, or would i just be able to use a regular flourescent bulb?
the tank is only 12 inches high too, so the lighting wouldnt need to be that strong would it?
srry if this isnt the place to ask the ?'s about the plants.

If you can find pure ammonia, it is dirt cheap. I bought a bottle for a couple of bucks if not just a buck. It's been a bit so I don't recall exactly, and I didn't even use much of the ammonia... With the ammonia method, I liked being able to control how high the ammonia spikes in the tank... Of course you will need a test kit to check the progress of the cycling.

Live plants is a huge topic. Care should be taken to chose what is best for your aquarium, just like picking fishes for an aquarium. Lighting, heating, water parameters, etc all come into effect, and plants need maintance also. I don't know all the details to how many watts of light you will need since it depends on the depth of the tank as well as your choice in plants. The plant forum is probably a better place to ask advice.

I am still researching plants for my tank...

I usually borrow some gravel or a filter from a friend or one of my established tanks to "seed" the aquarium, but I have also tried the shrimp method. They all work. I haven't used a fishy cycle once since.

are they all about the same length of time too? including taking a filter or gravel from another tank? I'm in no hurry, cause i got no $ right now anyways :D
thanks.

Using plants to skip the cycle requires some homework on plant growth and care, and usually is best done in a higher light tank with CO2 injection, optimal substrate and proper plants for the lighting.

That said, plants will definitely help ease a cycle if you are using fish, and you have at least 2wpg of fluorescent light. I think plants make a tank healthier no matter what. If you are interested in this more, post a question in the planted tank forum for specific info on cycling with plants.

For me, a seeded tank will cycle faster, but it really depends on how much seed you use, and what your load is. As an example, right now I have 3 American Flag Fish in quarrantine, which consists of a 10gal tank, no substrate, some java fern with algae on it to feed the fish, and two small sponge filters that had been running for a month or two in my other tanks, plus a light hood and a heater. This tank was set up the day before I received the fish, just to get the temp steady. Fish went in, no cycle, since the load is light and the sponge filters provided adequate bacteria to handle the waste they produce.

Back
Top Bottom