Fishless cycle - a walk in the park...!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what size tank and what is your filtration? couldn't remember seeing that info.
I am not a stocking pro, so listen to the other people on here but I do know a few things...
you probably don't want to put the angel fish in with the tiger barbs. tiger barbs tend to be fin nippers. as far as that goes - probably don't want them with the gouramis either (can't remember what they are called but the front feelers on the gouramis might get nipped by the tigers too)
you want to look at fish temperment - aggressive, semi-aggressive, peaceful. a good source is the live aquaria web site - lots of info and good pics too!
I am setting up a 90 gallon (you can look at my stocking thread if you want) and I am putting in the polkadot loaches, molly and dwarf gouramis in mine. zebra danios are cool too - almost went with them. also really like the cherry barbs - you might be interested in them. i have them in my 20gallon and love them!! also have the platy in my 20 gallon.
so maybe you are looking at a peaceful tank? you could do the mollies, platies, gouramis, danios... looks like fun!
someone also rec to go to aqadvisor.com - kinda fun to put it all in - but i still trust everyone on here more. that doesn't break it down to who is swimming where...

Sorry, I should have said size etc before now. Tank is a Juwel Rio 180 litre, (approx 47 US gallons), with standard filter that comes with it, it's a Bioflow 3.0 or 6.0. Have sand instead of gravel, 2 large pieces and 1 smaller piece of bogwood, lots of plants, couple of rocks and 3 air stones for pretty bubbles..!!

Your stock plan looks good Heather, I may have to steal some of your ideas.

Dadzpants said:
Here goes then. Purely from a "like the look of" approach

Zebra Danio
Panda Cory
Pakistan Loach
Zebra Danio
Tiger Barb
Kissing Gourami
Paradise Fish
Pearl Gourami
Black Widow Tetra
Serape/Blood Tetra
Platy
Sailfin Molly
Angel Fish

Right in a 180L the main fish I wouldn't recommend is the kissing gourami as they can reach 30 cm+

Edit I have got the rio 180 as well. It's just fish less cycling. :D

Cheers Fishy.

Plan B partly inspired by Heathers stock plan, (sorry for stealing).

Neon blue dwarf gourami 2
Powder blue dwarf gourami 2
Boesemani rainbow 4
Praecox rainbow 4
Syndontis zebra hybrid 1
Clown loach 1
Zebra Danio 4
Zebra Pleco 1
Tiger Pleco 1
Bleeding heart tetra 2
Pearl gourami 1

Anybody got any advice on this bunch sharing a home?

So I'm right with you guys. Today I woke up and tested my trites and they were at ZERO. Yesterday morning they were still 5ppm. YAY! I'm calling it YAY day. I started Feb 1st for my 72 gallon build. I redosed to 4ppm ammonia today and added a bit more fish food. If back to zero tomorrow I'll water change.

I too want to do Boesemani Rainbows - a school of 5.

I'll be putting my angel and my pearl gourami in as soon as I know it is cycled. I chose to NOT add a variety of gouramis by advice of a friend here. He said that the pearl will slowly pick off the weakest and probably start with the blue. I LOVE my pearl gourami and he and my angel get along great for the small 36 gallon they're in so I think they'll be thrilled in the 72.

Now - Clown loach - those cute little things you see at the LFS - please skip... Consider kuhli loach esp since you have sand - not sure it it goes well with everything else. But the Clown loach - I just took a pic of them at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago Wednesday - they get H U G E !!! 12-14 inches?? Zebra danios IMHO go a bit nuts, consider pearls or leopard danios? They're prettier anyway ;)

Check out this site - you'll love it AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor you plug in the fish you want based on your tank size and it tells you what to do. It is really helpful!

Janelle

Cheers Fishy.

Boesemani rainbow 4
Praecox rainbow 4
Syndontis zebra hybrid 1
Clown loach 1
Zebra Danio 4
Zebra Pleco 1
Tiger Pleco 1
Bleeding heart tetra 2
Pearl gourami 1

I would go with the 5 for the bosemani rainbows - I absolutely love mine! they are great - I might even get a few more!
same on the clown loach - skip it - they get too big. I got the polka-dot loach - love the little guys. I hope they are ok though cuz right now they are acting kinda crazy! up and down, up and down :ROFLMAO:
if you do the loaches you might want to up your numbers - same with the syndontis - I think they like groups (for sure they do on the loaches)
tetras - think you want more of those too. pretty sure they are schooling and like friends

looks like fun!

Dadzpants said:
Cheers Fishy.

Boesemani rainbow 4
Praecox rainbow 4
Syndontis zebra hybrid 1
Clown loach 1
Zebra Danio 4
Zebra Pleco 1
Tiger Pleco 1
Bleeding heart tetra 2
Pearl gourami 1

Rainbows, Danios and Tetras are a schooling bunch so:
B. Rainbows 5 or more,
P. Rainbows 5 or more,
Z. Danios 5 or more,
B. H. Tetras 5 or more.

Skip the Clown Loach, they get huge and need a group of 5 or more also.

I think the Syndontis can get up to 15 inches so you might want to research/reconsider it also.

The Gouramis may fight.

I think I must have missed it. How big is this tank again?

Thanks all.

Clown and Syndontis off the list. Do you think the 2 types of blue Gourami's will be ok together if I skip the pearl?

Rob.

I just scanned through the thread and saw that you are dealing with a 47 gallon tank. That is a lot of big-ish fish in a tank that size.

Check this out...
http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?AqVolUnit=gUS&AqTempUnit=F&AqLengthUnit=inch
Just put in your tank and filtration then add your fish. It will give you an approximation of how stocked the tank is. Greater stock, of course, means more maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom