Fishless cycle - ammonia not dropping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So...since I've cycled the tank, when I'm ready to add fish, do I still need to add slowly and in small batches? Or can I add a bigger batch or even the whole lot of them together? And if I'm adding live plants at the same time, does that make a difference to how many fish I can add at once?

So...since I've cycled the tank, when I'm ready to add fish, do I still need to add slowly and in small batches? Or can I add a bigger batch or even the whole lot of them together? And if I'm adding live plants at the same time, does that make a difference to how many fish I can add at once?

You fishless cycled the yank correct? As long as you did then your bio filter is as strong as it ever will be, you can add your fish all at once. The only reason you would need to wait to add fish is of you've chosen a fish that needs a mature tank (ex. Certain rams need mature tanks).

I would add fish slowly in schools/groups. You only cycled the tank I believe to @2ppm of ammonia and had quite a few issues getting the cycle going, so taking it slow would be better idea here. Add a decent sized group/school, see how things go over the course of a week, add another, see how things go, etc. If at any point you see a spike in ammonia/nitrite, then you will need to do water changes until things stabilize. Once they stabilize, wait a full week before adding anything new. Congrats on getting this tank cycled!!! :)

2.5 ppm is about what I've been adding. My original plan was to add the ghost shrimp and corys first, then add the tetras and platys, then add one gourami, so I might stick with that. I can be more patient with fish actually in the tank.

Thanks for the help to everyone who contributed! It's been a loooooooong cycle, lol. I'll post pics once I'm up and running. :)

Congratulations on cycling the "yank," lol, your tank. Those suggestive spell checkers!

Back
Top Bottom