Fishless cycle, day 8, cannot get ammonia to 4ppm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hkovach

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, this is my first tank and I have been trying to get ammonia levels up to 4ppm for about 4 days...they are hovering b/t 0.5 and 1ppm.

Here's my tank info: Freshwater, 10 gallon, no light, fluval glass heater (water temp staying at 83), old Tetra T1 filter, bubble wand and 2 air stones, artificial plants and black sand substrate. I did obtain a piece of used filter from PetsMart and have placed it in with my filter, I used Prime (red bottle) when I added my water and am testing with API Master Kit. The ammonia I used is Austins clear from Tractor Supply. I did an initial test of my tap water and Ammonia, Nitrites & Nitrates were all zero.

First three days ammonia was testing ALL OVER THE PLACE...Day 1 I added 1.5mL of ammonia and tested 30min later (according to some directions I found online)...it was 0.5ppm so I added 2 drops and tested again 30min later it was off the charts 8+ppm, did 50% water change w/ 0.5mL of prime, tested again back down to 0.5ppm then would be too high etc. I finally realized that I should probably wait longer between adding & testing b/c (1) I learned Prime binds ammonia and (2) my filter was not moving water quick enough. Day 4 - So I let it sit over night and ammonia was 0.5ppm. Since then, I have added a few drops at a time and test about 8 hours later. Day 6 - Ammonia was still 0.5ppm; so I thought maybe I am not adding enough so (using a dosing syringe) Day 7 - I added .5mL last night and this morning Day 8 - it is STILL only reading 0.5-1.0ppm.

IT SHOULD BE NOTED that the lack of circulation was due to my filter chamber being over-stuffed until yesterday - along with the USED FILTER behind my CLEAN FILTER, I also crammed in some of those BIO-STARS in front of my filter LOL this was causing the water to just run over-top my filter...as a newbie I didn't notice at first. I have taken the stars out of the filter chamber & am just letting them float and have moved the used filter over to the other chamber. Flow is normal now

SIDENOTE: After testing this morning, since my water level was getting low, I added 1 gallon with Prime so I assume I will need to wait 24-48hrs before testing again.

Before today, the last time I added Prime was during a partial water change on day 2. What in the world am I doing wrong?!

It doesn't sound too me like you are doing anything wrong - out sounds like your filter is converting ammonia. What are your nitrite and nitrate levels?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think you're right. I think the bacteria from the used filter have had time to get into mine; so I just tossed the used filter & tested; here are my results!!

pH=8.4, Ammo 1-2ppm, Nitrites 0.25ppm (maybe a little less b/c color was more blue than purple but def. not the zero light blue), Nitrates 5ppm (maybe a little less b/c color was more yellow than orange).

Also just a note, I failed to mention that my filter chamber was over-stuffed until yesterday --- along with the used filter behind mine, I also crammed in some of those black stars (bio-filter stone material) which was causing the water to just run over-top my filter...as a newbie I didn't notice at first LOL. So, now the water s/b circulating much better.

Back
Top Bottom