Fishless Cycle Dilema

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

npandav011

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I have a 10 gallon tank which has been running for about 2 weeks. I am trying to do the fishless cycle but I am having some problems. When I first set it up, I made sure to dechlorinate the water and let the filter (Top Fin 10) run for a day or so. Then I added Ace hardware ammonia (no surfactants, scents, etc.) and got the level to 4 PPM (I use API Master kit). 2 days ago, I also added seed material from my LFS. I added some to the actual tank and the filter. After 2 weeks + the seed bacteria from 2 days ago, my ammonia still is 4ppm. My nitrites are little darker than 0 but not 0.25. The temp is around 78 to 80 F, but I have no heater since I am in Texas. WHAT is going on? I really want to get some fish

it can take some time for the ammonia to start dropping. i've seen people say it took as long as 6 weeks, but my last one took around 2-3 weeks, then another 2-3 weeks for nitrite to drop

+1 mfd, it can take a lot of time. it may take a little longer than usual because the bacteria grow faster at higher temperatures than 80*. it sounds like your nitrites are about to spike. remember 1ppm of nitrites could be considered a spike so keep a close eye on it. don't forget to feed a little ammonia each day once the ammonia starts dropping from 4ppm (personally i would not wait until it reaches 0 just in case it stays at 0 too long and kill off all the bacteria).

I did a 75% water change and got the ammonia to 2 ppm. I also got a Stealth heater and raised it up to 86 degrees F. This should speed up the process right? I also put all my used filter media in my actual filter and left one strip in the actual tank. Thanks!

nice! that should definitely help. however, i would try to keep the ammonia at 4ppm until you see it start to drop on it's own. this way you can add more fish when it is done because the bacteria will be used to a relatively big bioload.

Fishless Cycling - Paw Talk - Pet Forums

I went by this and my 10 cycled in exactly 4 weeks. I added the ammonia so it was at 4 and then I just kept a couple pinches of fish food in there daily to keep it at about 1. My nitrites spiked at 1, as mommy said that is a decent spike. Then the next day it was cycled! Good luck and forgive if I posted this link to you already. I have posted it a lot so I don't remember anymore lol

Thanks for the link! So should I add more ammonia tonight or just leave it for now?

I would suggest getting it up to 4 ppm, but if you want to keep it at 2 it might just work. I just followed the directions on there and as I said my tank cycled in exactly 4 weeks. Either way as long as you keep checking your levels and maintaining an ammonia source it should cycle.

Personally, I would leave the ammonia at 2ppm. The bioload doesn't need to be huge for a 10g tank. Adding the seed material to the filter will help since most the bacteria is found in the filter anyways.

Depending on how much bacteria is in the seed material will determine how long it takes to cycle. If there is only enough bacteria to process .25ppm in 24 hours, then you have to wait for the bacteria to reproduce enough to bring it down at a faster rate.

Add a little fish food. Something about adding phosphates to the water, which are found in flake food, can help a stalled cycle. Otherwise, be patient and keep checking daily.

Back
Top Bottom