Fishless Cycle--Done

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Neilanh wrote: "Well, everything that I say that is right, is cuz of what I've learned from the people on this forum. I didn't know squat when I got here, except that the fish needed water to survive. "

That and the fact that you knew to call your wife for directions about the test stains! *Snort*

I agree with him though, you should see the "signs" faster than a tank that has not had fish. My seed material came from my gold's tank and I saw life within 3 or 4 days AND the big spikes came faster as well. There were a couple of days where my tubes were bright orange-brown, deep purple and, dark green.
You may see that ph drop as you get close to being cycled. I know Neilanh and I did.

Day 2- Ammonia 2.5ish
pH 7.4
Nitrite 0

I thought once ammonia went down you'd see nitrite? Should I dose more ammonia back in?

I would watch it and try to keep the ammonia above 1ppm at this point. Since you have seen your ammonia come down a little, you may see nitrites very soon.

You sure there wasn't any purple in the NO2 test? :lol:

You're on track, I saw a definate decline in ammonia 3 days before I saw any NO2. I agree, I'd let it go for now. When it gets below 1, I'd dose it back to 3-4ppm.

Now, if this cycle finishes before mine too... I'm going to cry :(

Haha neilanh, I hope it doesn't either...Yeaahhhhh right, of course I want it to finish early :). Some pics for all of you!

Check out the pic of me and my bro holding lobsters in the "So what do you look like thread?"

My 46g: (Blurry pic)

I'd show you a pic of tank with moonlights but they didn't come yet.

Nice! I think it looks very good. I am partial to plastic plants since they are sooooo easy to maintain...lol.
I like the holey rock, I may have to get some for my tank.

Day 3 (Technicall only day 2 since ammonia was placed in on Monday, but we'll call it 3)

pH-7.4
Ammonia-1.5
Nitrites- 0.0!!! :-(

On a happy note, my moonlights came and I am hooking them up tonight.

if you're getting overly anxious already, this is going to be a long long road my friend.

I predict 2-3 days you'll see NO2 traces.

Moonlights, SWEET! pics after theyre working please!

Lol, Im not OVERLY anxious, just...anxious. It's understandable though isn't it? I am prepared for the constant waiting. I know I ask a lot but do you think I should wait til tommorow to dose 1/4 tsp in?

***Scratch that, my mom brought me home a medicine dropper thing from the medical group she works at. It goes up to 10 mL.

I think you could wait if you wanted to, or you could add another 3ml now if you wanted (3ml is just about 2ppm on our 46gl tanks). I don't think it's going to make that big of a difference, except that you assure yourself the ammonia won't bottom out over the next 24 hours. I don't think it will, I think you'll stay somewhat constant for another day or 2, but it won't hurt to get it up a little higher.

Those little droppers are awesome for this.

It's completely understandable, the longer my cycle goes, the worse it gets too.

Get those moonlights in yet?

Hey I just got finished putting the moonlights in...and WOW. They are so cool. The one near the filter looks awesome because of the current. They are just unbelievable. I didn't even realize that the fake algae on my brown rock glows sort of, looks kinda cool.

Another thing I didn't realize is how much more fake everything looks in my tank photo. I assure you they look pretty realistic in person :) (ie: The plants are a duller green so it looks more natural.)

My dad brought the dock back to work so I have to wait until tommorow. I have one on each side, and both shine down onto the rocks.

9:57 I tested again, not to try and rush things, but because I am worried that my ammonia will hit 0 by the time I get home from school tommorow. It's at 1.5 ppm. I don't think it will either, but I may test in the morning and see what it is then.

Just hope you don't run into my problem, where the purple won't go away.

I was excited that day, now I'm so sick of purple I can't stand it and am praying for blue again. :lol:

Make sure you read my thread, especially page 6. Might give you some tips to avoid my problem.

I just dosed in 1ml of ammonia, just so i don't have to worry about it dropping while I am at school. I am going to test again tomorrow afternoon. I don't think anyone is reading this except for neilanh lol. Thanks a bunch man, I really appreciate your help.

You can keep dosing like you're doing, or you can push it back up to the 4 or 5 range if you wanted. If it does bottom out, but you catch it within a day I don't think you'll set things back any.

Back
Top Bottom