Fishless cycle going faster then I expected, need help stocking...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Try to get two or three more Gourami's. They're very territorial and love to chase eachother when they get into each other's space. The more you add into your tank, the more peaceful they'll be.

I'm planning to head up to a local pet store today. Now that I've got most of the fish I wanted, I'm going to take a look (again) and some of the other ones I ignored over the past few days. Maybe pick up one or two more.

From the looks of it, now that I have the red tail shark, snails are out of the picture and with such a deep tank I don't think I can get a African Dwarf Frog.

The Mopani has been soaking for the last few days. I've been swapping out the water with near boiling water every few hours. If the water is still mostly clear when I get home from work, that'll go in the tank tonight. The shark looks like it needs something to graze on.

I picked up some algae pellets for the pleco, but he seemed uninterested in it and I think the barbs ate it. I'm going to leave a nearby window blind open to see if maybe I can develop a bit of algae in there for it. There's a very small amount on the suction cups but he doesn't seem to have found it yet. I also found that he really doesn't like the light turned on. The first time I turned it on, he moved so fast he looked like he was trying to break through the glass.

You might have some problems with the gouramis; it's generally suggested not to mix different types of gourami and they can often become aggressive toward each other, so just watch for that. As the shark grows (how large is it now?) it'll need a larger tank. Tiger Barbs can be aggressive to each other in small groups so you might want to get more of those. The pleco would need the driftwood to munch on for digestion.

Try adding some drift wood to the tank for the Pelco, mine is always stuck to it! Pelco's are nocturnal, so if you're worried about him not eating, feed him at night with the lights turned off. Gradually he'll start eating his food at night with the lights on and coming out more often. It's okay for the other fish to eat the wafer, they'll be enough for the pelco in the end. I find mixing Gourami breeds are okay, as long as they're all the same size, all Drawfs, all regular, all giant. I like drawfs cuz they only get two to four inches in length. I can't help you with the shark since I don't own one of those little beauties.

You might have some problems with the gouramis; it's generally suggested not to mix different types of gourami and they can often become aggressive toward each other, so just watch for that. As the shark grows (how large is it now?) it'll need a larger tank. Tiger Barbs can be aggressive to each other in small groups so you might want to get more of those. The pleco would need the driftwood to munch on for digestion.
The shark is (off the top of my head) about 2 inches right now.

More then five tiger barbs? I assume it's okay if I get more from another store, right? They don't take up much space so another 3 or 4 doesn't seem like it'll be a problem. They mostly just keep to themselves and don't seem to be bothering anyone else. Same for everything else, but they've only been in the tank for 18 hours or so. I'm sure that'll change over the next few days/weeks.

Two more questions. First, I assume this is normal. I caught them 'fighting' earlier. I broke them up and that seemed to be the end of it.

I was worried they were trying to scratch each other. A few of them have one or two white dots. I'm not sure if that's Ich or not. I've got a few pictures, but they're buzzing around so fast it's hard to take them. I thought they were just bubbles at first, but then I noticed they hadn't gone away.
I believe it's only on two or three of them, and nothing other then the barbs. I don't think they looked like that when I got them, but I had to look really close to even see them. They're pretty small.

Now, if that is Ich, I'm confused as to if you're supposed to medicate and turn up the heat or just turn up the heat to help get rid of them.

The video is inline on my display, but I just changed the setting to public. There's only one video, everything else is pictures.

Back
Top Bottom