Fishless cycle help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danno

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Set my new 20 gallon tank about 48 hours ago. I used API stress coat and also top fin bacteria supplement about 24 hours ago. I am waiting on my API master test kit to come in the mail and was going to purchase some pure ammonia at some point today. While I wait for the test kit I was wondering what I should be doing to speed up this cycling process?? If adding ammonia is a good idea how much?? How is it measured? I also have some tests strips I could use but heard they are highly inaccurate and was hesitant to use them. If I do use one what numbers are ideal at this point in my cycle?? Thank you

Oh my gosh! Thank you SO MUCH for posting that calculator! I have been trying to find one everywhere to tell my brother exact amts for his tank. This is perfect!

+1
You will want to test your tank right now to see what your base numbers are for your tank before adding any ammonia. You also should test your tap numbers as well. This will be your starting point for your cycle. For example, many people have ammonia in their tap water- if you do, you will need to subtract this amount from your 4ppm ammonia dose. Many people also have nitrate in their tap so this is important to know as well. Good luck & please ask if you have any questions!

Oh my gosh! Thank you SO MUCH for posting that calculator! I have been trying to find one everywhere to tell my brother exact amts for his tank. This is perfect!

NP, Just remember that ammonia isn't sold full strength. The stuff ace sells is 10% ammonia the rest is water. When the calculator asks the % that is what it wants to know. It's very important to get that right or you will be incorrectly dosing.

Thank you for the article and calculator. I will test as soon as my kit comes. I was also wondering what the levels of general hardness and carbonate hardness should be?? And what exactly are they?

Thank you for the article and calculator. I will test as soon as my kit comes. I was also wondering what the levels of general hardness and carbonate hardness should be?? And what exactly are they?

There are not 'set' levels for gh & kh- they will be whatever numbers your tap water reflects. Generally, you dont have to worry about these unless they are quite low (which will cause the ph to be unstable) or you wish to keep a sensitive or difficult species of fish. Gh is general hardness or your dissolved mineral content. Kh is carbonate hardness which is the amount of carbonates/buffers in your water- this is what keeps your ph stable and is also necessary for your good bacteria to process ammonia. Heres some links with more extensive explanations:

http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/waterchemistry.htm

Aquarium Chemistry; Calcium, KH, GH, pH, Electrolytes, Magnesium, Mineral Ions

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom