Fishless cycle help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just did a major water change only water left was In the canister. Tested Nitrites and still at the top of the scale. So i guess I will keep a small amount of ammonia in there but hope that the Nitrite bacteria can catch up. Maybe I will do another big change this weekend to try and get it down again. Who knows maybe I will wake up tomorrow and it will be cycled. I even went as far as to test my 29 gallon tetra tank to make sure the test kit was working. Sad I know.

If you changed almost all your water and still have nitrates I would not add ammonia. Let the cycle catch up.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you have signs of nitrates then I wouldn't add any more ammo until thigns catch up. Reduce your dosing to every other day or even every 3 days. Now you have a gauge. Just add ammo that can be converted in 24hrs until you can convert 4ppm in 24 hrs. Then do a big water change, wait 24 more hrs then stock.

Yeah I added 5ml today but that is because I am going out of town till Sunday night. So hopefully it can catch up I. The next three days. I will be dosing every third day I think. Did I mention I have no darn patience. Not to mention I was hoping it would be cycled as I am going to where the LPS is that I will be getting my fish from. It is 3 hours away. My choices here are Walmart or from this crappy pet store that has no clue about cichlids other then he has Africans. Next best thing is 3 hours away or ordering from KG tropical a online.

well there is a good chance it will be cycled when you get back. Or really close. Have you tested for nitrates? If you are near the 40-80 ppm on trates then chances are you are probably close to being finished. I dont know if this would work for sure but you could just buy your fish this weekend and and add some API Quick Start or Fluval Bio-enhancer. Or just add your fish and keep an eye on the water. If it gets ammo or trite spike just change the water. I think you'll be alright.

Ok just got back from being out of town. I went and tested my water. Ammonia was zero which was what I thought would happen. Then I tested nitrites and I was very happy to see I had none. I then wanted to see how high my nitrates were. Then I got shocked. They where also at zero. So now I just doused to about 2ppm and will see tomorrow if it is back to zero. I am so excited I might get to get some fish this week.

Thats that you wouldn't have any nitrates.

Ok so after dosing last night to 2ppm I came back and everything was at Zero. So I just dosed to 4ppm and will check tonight after work and see where it is at. I think I am there or close enough I can have my LPS order my African cichlids now.

Back
Top Bottom