Fishless cycle help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishnoobs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Started the cycle on 9/15, so it's been 11 days so far. The tank has live plants in it along with 2 lava rocks and 1 large driftwood. I use the Eco-complete substrate and another layer of finer substrate (Petco brand). The temperature in the tank is about 80-82F. I have been using API CO2 booster for the plants every day.

Our water is coming from a well and the readings are as follow: pH=7.4, ammonia=0ppm, nitrite=0ppm, nitrate=5ppm.

I have been dosing the 4ppm ammonia for 2 days and so far it went down to 0.25ppm in 24 hours in both days. Nitrites are off the chart and Nitrate is about 80ppm. Did 60% PWC yesterday morning and today the readings didn't change. Ammonia is still 0.25, Nitrite is off the chart and Nitrate is about 80ppm. Today I changed the water again with hope it will lower both nitrite and nitrate. Does that mean my cycle is stalled? Should I keep dosing ammonia or wait till the nitrite and nitrate start to come down?

TIA

Bring the nitrItes down with one or more pwc. High nitrites can stall the cycle. Do not dose any more ammonia until the nitrites are starting to go down on their own, and even then only up to 2 ppm.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! I'm keeping a log to record the daily reading. Hopefully they will come down soon!

9/28 readings

After three 50% PWC, here are the readings:

pH 8.0 (it was elevated to 8.4 after I added Fluval peat granules on 9/26, not sure why)
ammonia 0ppm (yay!)
nitrite 0.25ppm
nitrate 20ppm

So since there's still nitrite and nitrate, I should keep feeding the bacteria with 1ppm ammonia, right? until nitrite is 0?

I'm hoping the peat granules and CO2 booster will help lower the pH down to 7.4 pretty soon!

I would just wait until the nitrites read zero (You're close), and then add enough ammonia to bring the reading to between 2-4ppm. If it clears in 24 hours (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites), you're ready.

Today is the day the ammonia=0, nitrite=0, and nitrate=5. I'm going to bump the ammonia to 2ppm and crossing my fingers they will drop to 0 in 24 hours!

I don't actively add ammonia past the first dose. I dose it, wait 4-5 days then start checking it. I'm looking for the nitrite spike then actively checking that daily to see where it is. Once the nitrites are gone, I'll check all three, and if everything's satisfactory do a 90% water change.

I almost always start with existing media. Even if its not the same filter; I just stuff it in there or cut a square of it. It helps. The 100g has two canisters so it doesn't mind stealing the media out of one.

pH never drops below 7.8

So can someone explain this to me?

Tap water pH is 7.4 But my fish less tank pH is never below 7.8 even though I have chola wood, driftwood, peat granules, and I put CO2 booster every day.

What's causing the pH to stay in the 7.8? The live plants or is it because it's still cycling? Will I see a drop when the cycling is done?

Same case in my tank. I've read some posts about Eco complete leading to a slight increase in pH.

So I was surprised to see the reading this morning:
ammonia=0, nitrite=0, nitrate=0.

I spiked the ammonia to 2ppm on 10/3 afternoon, and yesterday's morning (10/4) reading was (14 hours after the ammonia spike):
ammonia=0, nitrite=2, nitrate=40ppm

then in the afternoon (24 hours after ammonia spike):
ammonia=0, nitrite=0.5, nitrate=20ppm

I didn't expect nitrate to be 0, too. But since it still took longer than 24 hours to zero everything, I still need to continue to spike the ammonia to 2-4ppm, right?

I'd say that's a safe way of doing it, but keep in mind that your system may not permit 2 ppm of ammonia to come down much faster than that. The number of bacteria is a function of the surface area available for it to grow. If you have ample media available, then the more bacteria to help with the conversion.

My 2 cents - spike to 2 ppm one more time but don't worry if it does not go down to 0 in a day. Then you are ready to add fishes but in small batches and monitor ammonia. This way you have some inhabitants while the bacterial colony grows.

If the nitrate reads 20ppm (or lower) tomorrow, do I still need to do water change?

Nitrates of 20 is ok, but that can quickly increase when you add the fish. Better to have it as close to zero as possible when you add your fish. Fresh water never hurts!

My tank is cycled!

Ammonia=0
Nitrite=0
Nitrate=5
pH=7.8

:dance: :ROFLMAO:

I am out of ideas on lowering my pH. All the natural things I put (peat, driftwood, chola wood) did nothing to reduce it :banghead:

Attachments

• IMG_5929.JPG
    IMG_5929.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 58
Fantastic and congratulations!

I'd say leave the pH alone. My tank is at 7.8 and I have 7 different types of fishes in there that all do great.

Back
Top Bottom