Fishless Cycle Log - 37 galllon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So it's dropping ammonia to zero with zero no2 within 24 hours? If so, test it this last time, lower the heater, get no3 below 20...and add fish!

You can add the rock (after sterilizing)...but the leaf might not do very well in the tank :)

Awesome job!

Day 26

Aug 22: N02= 0.0 NH3 = 40
dropped in 1.5ml ammonia and tiny pinch of flakes

Of course, now that the tank is ready for fish, I'm headed out of town for a three day weekend on Thursday night! And again for Labor Day!

I think I'll just put in ammonia each day this week and next and keep it going until I have time to add Fish without about abandoning them for three days.:facepalm:

Ready for Fish but Ph seems low

I'm now done with the 2 three-day weekends in a row (plus a hurricane!) and ready for fish, I think!

During the past 2 weeks I just kept adding about 2 ml of ammonia each night and some fish flakes every three days (tiny tiny pinch).

I noticed last week that the Ph seemed very low, at one point before this past weekend it was reading 6.0.

When I got ome last night I did a 90% PWC. This morning I'm seeing 6.6 Ph and 30ppm Nitrates.

Can I put some fish in yet or do I need to stabilize or raise the Ph somehow.

jonnyep said:
I'm now done with the 2 three-day weekends in a row (plus a hurricane!) and ready for fish, I think!

During the past 2 weeks I just kept adding about 2 ml of ammonia each night and some fish flakes every three days (tiny tiny pinch).

I noticed last week that the Ph seemed very low, at one point before this past weekend it was reading 6.0.

When I got ome last night I did a 90% PWC. This morning I'm seeing 6.6 Ph and 30ppm Nitrates.

Can I put some fish in yet or do I need to stabilize or raise the Ph somehow.

Remind me what the pH out of the tap is? If its significantly different I'd do another massive water change to make sure the tank and the tap are the same value. It's dangerous when the pH drops into the low 6's because nitrification will slow and eventually stop. pH crashes are obviously also not good if you've got fish in there. Once the pH levels are the same through pwc's, you're clear to add fish. Just keep up a good water change schedule and if you're still seeing drops after you have fish...it may be worth buffering the water in a natural way.

Ph is same as Tap, Stocking Question

Thanks for the advice Eco, I just checked the tap and got 6.7 which is about the same as the tank (6.6).

Now that I think about it, my Ph was showing up around this level in the beginning but I added some crushed coral and it was pretty much around 7.6-7.8 after that until about 2 to 3 weeks ago.

Now I've decided to start stocking with fish that like the slightly acidic water. Here's my plan:

8 x Neon Tetras
5 x Albino Cory
2 x Dwarf Gourami
and maybe a Bristlenose Pleco
:fish1::thanks:

Fish at Last! Now I have questions about food.

After over 30 days of prepping, testing, waiting, water changes, etc I finally got some fish!

4 little Neon Tetras from the local PetSmart. The saleslady convinced me not to put 8 fish in a new tank, better wait a few days in between, and even though I knew my biofilter could handle it, I only bought 4.

We let them float for 25 minutes and then slowly added a cup of tank water about 5 times before dumping them in the net and into the tank. One little guy got stuck in the net and I had to "flick him off and into the water. I think was traumatized from the experience because for the next 8 hours we could only see 3 fish.

Today all four were schooling together. See pictures below.
IMG_0305.jpg
IMG_0306.jpg
IMG_0309.jpg

I have no idea how much to feed them. All of the food just floats on the top and then slowly sinks but I don't have a good way of gauging how much they are eating in 2 or 3 minutes.

Here's a picture showing how much I've been putting in for the 4 fish:
IMG_0310.jpg

Any idea if I'm in the right ballpark?

A note of many thanks to Eco23, LibraryGirl, JetaJockey and everyone else who helped me get through the fishless cycle! :dance:

Congrats :). The fish and the tank look great.

Don't be afraid to stock the tank. One of the purposes / benefits of fishless cycling is the ability to fully stock the tank all at once (as long as they're peaceful community fish). Over time the bacteria will adjust to the fish you have...so right now your bio-filter is as strong as it will ever be.

That looks like too much food for 4 Tetras. If you're feeding flakes, take a tiny bit and swish it below the water surface. It will spread out and the fish should go right for it. It's better to underfeed than overfeed.

Congrats again :)

I agree, cut that amount of food in half. That is way too much for 4 tetras.

Back
Top Bottom