Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

fishless cycle - nitrite too high?

So my cycle has reached the point where I put it up to 3-4ppm ammonia and within 12 hours or so it's all gone so now I'm waiting for the nitrite to spike. What I'm wondering is, can you have too much nitrite? I ask because for the past few days my nitrite reading has been off the chart for my test kit which maxes out at 5ppm. I guess I'm wondering if I should do a partial water change or will that just slow things down?

Old 07-20-2009, 09:55 PM   #2
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. Stay the course and be patient.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

As far as i know as long as you dont have fish in it just leave it alone. keep adding the ammo so you dont lose the first bacteria
Old 07-21-2009, 01:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I figured rather than start a new thread I'd just add on to this one. I was just walking by my tank and I noticed a little black spot, and it was moving. Then I saw there was another one in the corner. That's right, I have snails in my cycling tank. Must've been on the plants I bought or the driftwood or sommething like that. Should I take em out or just leave them until the cycle completes and let the loaches and what not have a snack?
Old 07-23-2009, 02:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

It depends on what you would do with them. It may be safer to let your future loaches have a snack. Otherwise you could be introducing them into an environment where they shouldn't be by putting them down the drain, out with the trash, etc.
7.5 Gallon Cube Planted Betta Sorority - 20 Long Planted Community - 10 Gallon RCS Farm - 10 Gallon Crayfish Playpen - 29 Gallon Community - 55 Gallon Planted Community - *Coming Soon* 80 Gallon Community
Nippy Fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, fishless, fishless cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com