fishless cycle - nitrite too high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drayven

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my cycle has reached the point where I put it up to 3-4ppm ammonia and within 12 hours or so it's all gone so now I'm waiting for the nitrite to spike. What I'm wondering is, can you have too much nitrite? I ask because for the past few days my nitrite reading has been off the chart for my test kit which maxes out at 5ppm. I guess I'm wondering if I should do a partial water change or will that just slow things down?

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. Stay the course and be patient.

I figured rather than start a new thread I'd just add on to this one. I was just walking by my tank and I noticed a little black spot, and it was moving. Then I saw there was another one in the corner. That's right, I have snails in my cycling tank. Must've been on the plants I bought or the driftwood or sommething like that. Should I take em out or just leave them until the cycle completes and let the loaches and what not have a snack?

It depends on what you would do with them. It may be safer to let your future loaches have a snack. Otherwise you could be introducing them into an environment where they shouldn't be by putting them down the drain, out with the trash, etc.

Back
Top Bottom