Fishless cycle no change after 2.5 weeks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just want to add.....i read somewhere that the 4ppm ammonia is more for tanks over 20 gallons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ppm is a unit of concentration, so the relative amount doesn't change with tank size.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

True....i didnt really consider that.

However, theres still a chance that 4ppm is excessive if you are trying to grow yout biofilter from scratch

However, theres still a chance that 4ppm is excessive if you are trying to grow yout biofilter from scratch

He's been dosing 2-3 not 4 now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've read that starting with a high concentration will inhibit the cycle from starting, so in my quest to isolate every possible variable I reduced the concentration to 2-3ppm. When I did this, I figured it'll go slower at this low concentration but it would at least start.

Im aware he began dosing less. I just meant to convey that he was probably correct in doing so if he intended to grow bb from nothing.

I tried 4ppm......4 months, yo.....

I prefer dosing in the 2-3 ppm ammonia range, as it's easier to avoid overloading the tank with nitrites, and potentially stalling the cycle. If you're careful, you could probably get away with 4 ppm ammonia doses. Others here have.

I've been monitoring the levels, nitrites are off the scale (too high) but nitrates are continuing to climb. On your suggestions I've only been adding a small amount of ammonia each day to maintain the ammonia->nitrite bacteria colony.

I just checked the water and it appears the nitrites have dropped significantly without having to do another water change. I'd say we're almost there folks. Here is the progress graphically. It got kind weird after the water change but here it is. The drop in nitrates is when I did the change. After that I dosed ammo to 1ppm everyday because it kept going to zero overnight. The nitrites are posted at 10ppm because they were ff the charts (which is why they are shown not to have reduced after the water change). You can see today the nitrites reduced while the nitrates kept rising. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417059224.955080.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I think I did it folks. The 3ppm of ammonia I put I the tank around this time has turned into nitrates. Just to be sure, I put another 3ppm in again tonight, if that disappears tomorrow night, I'll do a big water change and finally make a trip to the LFS to get fish.

Congrats bro! Hopefully all will be good from here on!

I'm going to get two GBRs on Tuesday!

Just finished putting my first fish in the tank. Thanks to everyone for following along. The total length of the cycle was about 6 weeks. Here are a few things I learned along the way for anyone who stumbled upon this that might be looking to fishless cycle a tank.

The biggest take away for me is the importance of seeding material. My tank basically sat without change for 3.5 weeks, then I put a piece of filter from my LFS in the tank and things started immediately.

I personally saw no change after using two bacteria in a bottle brands (Dr. Tim's, and Nutrifin Cycle). This is not to say the products aren't effective, they just didn't work in my case.

I used Old Country brand ammonia available at Home Hardware for those Canadians out there who can’t get ahold of the standard Ace Brand Janitorial Strength Ammonia. Old Country Ammonia costed ~$3 for a huge bottle, I called the company and they confirmed it to be a 5% solution with no detergents or surfactants.

Although a lot of guides trail off and make it sound like things are over when nitrates start to appear, I found things to be the opposite. As with dosing the proper amount of ammonia, I found it also important to “dose” the amount of nitrites. Other guides make it sound like you can just maintain off the chart nitrites while building your nitrIte-to-nitrAte colony, but this just stalled the cycle for me. Once you can turn a significant amount of ammonia into nitrite overnight, you have to do a big water change to keep them in readable ranges in order to slowly build the nitrite-to-nitrAte colony.

Thanks for following along!

Back
Top Bottom