Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2019, 11:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Fishless cycle - No Nitrites after 14 days?

I have a 40 gallon breeder that I am trying to do a fishless cycle with. All decorations and substrate is in, filter is up high (Aquaclear HOB 70) and I have an air pump on and no light. Temp is set to 86. Up until early this week I was putting in 2 caps of stability daily. I can't seem to get any nitrites, even with ammonia dropping. Is this normal?

Feb 11th: Filled tank and added some food.

Feb 13th: Very cloudy.

Feb 24th:
I added some ammonia from true value to bring the levels up to 3-4ppm according to the API master kit test.

Feb 28th:

Ammonia still at 3-4, pH is 7.6. Nitrites at 0.

March 4th:

I saw a slight dip in Ammonia to around 2ppm, GH was at 6, Alkalinity at 3 and pH still at 7.6. I added a small amount ammonia as well as alkaline buffer and some equilibrium. Nitrites at 0.

March 8th:
Ammonia at or just under 2ppm and alkalinity up to 6 and GH at 8. Nitrites at 0.

March 12th:

Ammonia still at or slightly under 2ppm, no nitrites or nitrates.

March 14th:
Ammonia seems to be around 1ppm, no nitrites or nitrates.

Do I need to just wait this out longer? Wasn't sure if I should do a water change or add something else? The water is still just as cloudy as it was 2 days after filling it.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Add more ammonia to 4 ppm. Wait it out longer.

Tags
cycle, fish, fishless, fishless cycle, nitrite, nitrites, no nitrites

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com