Fishless Cycle problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mctypething

Aquarium Advice Regular
To start my fishless cycle, I added a half cup of ammonia to my 55 gal, after reading on a few websites that was a good amount for a 55 gal. Well I have since learned that it was too much. I started the cycle two days ago have done 25% PWCs twice once I realized it was too much. My ammonia is still through the roof! The color comes out very dark on the API testing kit.

Should I keep doing PWCs until it gets lower or should I wait a few days? I know a half cup is a lot, but I don't think it's so much that two 25% PWCs wouldn't lower the amount.

I'm thinking I will let it sit for a day or two and test again.

And yes, I have the right ammonia. The Ace Hardware brand.

IMO: Drain the entire thing, or near and start over. 1/2 cup is outta control. By the time you're done doing pwc's you'll have spent more time and water then just a do-over.

A day or 2 isn't going to change anything. There's a good chance that at the at concentration it may never cycle (within a reasonable time).

Save yourself the aggravation, time, cost of test kit chemicals and just re-do

oh yeah I way over did it on a 20g tank.... Drain off to about an inch of water in the tank and start over.

Okay, thanks for the tip. It's unbelievable to me that people can put something like that on the internet (1/2 cup of ammonia in a 55 gal tank to start the cycle), when obviously it's not right.

I drained about 85% of the water. I would have done 90-95 but I was short on time. I tested for ammonia later and it was still over 4 ppm, but seemed between 4 and 8, so hopefully the cycle can get going now.

If not, then I'll start to get really aggravated.

That was good advice. Having the concentrated levels that high can actually inhibit the cycle too.

If you haven't already, read the article we have here about fishless cycling, there's a link my sig.

You want to aim to maintain your ammonia level between 3 and 5 ppm during your cycle. If you don't already have a good, quality test kit (i.e. not the cheap strips) then you should really consider getting one.

Add a little bit of ammonia, wait 10 min or so and test the water. Repeat this process until you achieve between 3-5ppm. Keep track of how much you added (total volume) as you'll want to know this information later in your cycle when you begin having to dose ammonia daily.

I think it might be about time to add some fish to the tank I am cycling for my daughter. Be better than having an empty tank that I just have to add a few drops of ammonia to every few days.

IMO not really a good lesson for child. Cycling with fish is cruel to the fish, they often are damaged for life if they even survive. 2 things: first you shouldn't need to dose everyday. Second if you cycle with fish you'll need to change the water once if not multiple times a day. So it's actually more work.

JPK: another post you saidyou had lids on 'all your tanks'; If that's true you why don't you just use some of the media from another tank?

Last edited:
oh no. I am only dosing it every few days to keep the bacteria fed. It is ready for fish but haven't had the time to go out and get any yet.

I will need to break it down soon and drive out to her with it.

Ahh gotcha, ur comment just came in outta the blue and with the topic being what it was...

For what seems like such a hot topic, the articles you read about fishless cycling really seem to be lacking in details. I hope I can make a good contribution when I am done as I'm keeping every detail recorded on my 55 gal.

For instance, every article basically says "go out and buy ammonia", without noting that Ammonia is very hard to find (at least the kind you use for cycling). From all of the research I've done, Ace Hardware is the way to go. They have a janitor strength brand for about $2.50 a bottle.

Also, there seem to be no details on how much ammonia to add. Most articles just say "add enough to get the ppm between 3 and 5". I made the mistake of adding too much at first based on faulty information. I think the articles really need to stress the importance of only adding a little ammonia at a time initially.

I hope I can contribute more lessons I'm learning as I'm trying this out. As I've noted on this thread, I recently drained the majority of the water after putting in WAY too much ammonia. My ammonia seems to be above 4ppm but below 8ppm. I hope this gets the cycle going.

I think you might come up with a good starting point but everyone will have something different due to your starting water is different.

Was hard finding just ammonia! What is this country coming to? If you're going to do something nasty with it you can use the stuff with the soap in it cause it won't matter.

Yeah I added a few cap fulls to the 20g I am cycling for my daughter and it was way way way too much. I think maybe next time I cycle I will add about 3 drops per 5g of water and see how that goes.

Some articles don't even mention to get the pure ammonia. Some peeps on here gave me the low down to check Ace Hardware and they seem like the only place to carry it! Home Depot and Lowes I turned up empty.

Back
Top Bottom