Fishless Cycle Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BDomanico

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am using the fishless cycle for dummies method found here on the boards. I am about to enter the 3rd week and so far I am still reading 4ppm on ammonia and 0ppm on nitrite. Is this normal and I just need to keep waiting it out? I have a 29 gallon with fake plants.

Thanks

Brian

Hmmm, that seems a little odd that you wouldn't have Nitrites yet. Are you sure your test kit isn't expired? They can sometimes sit on the lfs shelves for many many many months before being sold.

Hi BD.
I am glad to hear that you are using the "more modern" and "humane" method of cycling your tank.

I, too, have a 29gal, and have to admit it took me 5 weeks to complete the cycling process. The time frame does seem to vary in each case.

If you have been keeping a record in the little "sexy notebook" I suggested, and did indeed start with 5.0ppm, then a reading of 4 would indicate that it is proceeding.

ff makes a good point on the validity of your test kit. A simple experiment to test this would be to perform a test on tap or rainwater. It should show zero which indicates the kit is testing valid.

IMO, I would give it a little more time. I think you will be surprised once you start getting NitrIte readings, how quickly NitrAtes will follow. I do think that the "getting to NitrIte" part is the longest part of this process.

Verifying the temp to 80-85 degrees (no higher) aids in speeding this also.

Hang in there, my friend, you are doing fine.

Just think of all of the smiling faces on the new finned friends when you are able to introduce them to their healthy and comfortable envoirnment.

Bob

I'd crank the temp up like neilanh suggested and if you have a power head that you can throw in to add some bubbles into the tank that would speed things up even more. I cycled my 30g with some filter material, high temp, and one airhead blowing tons of bubbles. Hope it helps :)

Water temp is 82 degrees constant. I started with 4ppm ammonia (a little under was ok from what I read) so I have not moved lower at all (although it looks a bit lighter shade of green!!). I also have a bubbler pumping air through an airstone that is 8" long creating a nice bubble backdrop. My tap water is well water if that makes a difference. I treat it with prime before adding to tank. HMMM I think that covered all questions.

Thanks for the help

Brian

Last edited:
Sounds like you're doing it all right. No where to get any seed material?

Add a small pinch of flake food, crushed as best you can, that may help also.

Fishless Cycle Update...

Ok, I think I am almost there. reading this morning are 82degree water, 0 ammonia, 5 (maybe less) of NitrIte, 160 NitrAte. I am adding the 1 teaspoon of ammonia per day. I believe I am just waiting for the Nitrite to drop to 0 then do 80% H2O change and I am done....does this sound correct?

I would make sure that the Nitrites stay at zero for a couple days before the water change and adding fish, but yes then you'll be done. Occationally you'll see the Ammonia or Nitrites jump slightly right at the end before settling back down to zero which is why I recommended making sure the numbers stay at zero. Might want to do a 90% water change just to get the Nitrates down a touch more. Not absolutely necessary, just a little nicer for the new fish.

Back
Top Bottom