fishless cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey: Update for you!
November 17th 2pm UK Time
I added 1 drop of Ammonia to get it to increase to 2ppm earlier.

Now = 11pm UK Time
Ammonia: 0.50 - 1ppm
Nitrite: 1ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm
PH: 8

So the Ammonia is definatley dropping and Nitrites are rising... havent yet seen a spike though.

Do you think I should add some more ammonia tonight or wait until tomorrow?

try to keep it around 1 until u see the nitrites start to fall then do the 'how many hours till 0' dosiing test

Okey dokey.

This morning I got:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrites: 1ppm
Nitrates: 10-20ppm
PH 8

I have redosed to 1-2ppm (before I read your reply!). Next time it goes down I will add less ammonia and keep doing this until the Nitrites begin to fall.

Thank you!

19th Nov:

Ammonia: 0ppm (down from 2ppm this morning)
Nitrite: 1-2ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm (tap water level)
PH 8

I was wondering... how much Nitrite is created for each 1ppm of ammonia used up. Or does it not work like that? Id just like to know if my nitrite is being processed or not ... I cant really tell whether Nitrates are getting stronger.

Also - I have moved over some more gravel and a plastic plant from my established BiOrb on the hope that there's some nitrite munching bacteria on there.

keep dosing small amounts of ammonia... You're getting there. Nitrite should begin to fall and nitrates rise..

Latest results:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 1ppm (down from around 3-5ppm)
Nitrate: 20-40ppm
I have quite a few plants in there (about 8 some with big leaves), do you think this is why my Nitrate isnt rising sky high?

I will add some Ammonia before I go to bed (Which is the time ive been adding each day).

i've also added some fish flakes to get things ready for real life decomposition

I hope the Nitrite continues to drop, as that means im almost there!

You're day(s) away. No real reason to do flakes and ammonia. Dose small and see if everything falls in a 12-24 hr period but IMO you're no more than 2 days out

Wow that's amazing!

This morning was at 2ppm Nitrite... I just did a test and its 0ppm (11pm my time)

That could mean Im cycled!!!!

What should I do now... I guess I just add some ammonia (around 1ppm?) and see if Ammonia and Nitrite are 0 tomorrow correct?

Im so happy!

You should get about 2.7 ppm of nitrite for each 1 ppm of ammonia that is converted. If your nitrite converters are starting to develop, you may not see that much because some of the nitrite will be nitrate by the time you measure it. To be sure you are done, you should keep dosing ammonia for a few more days and make sure that your bacteria will consistently return the levels to zero ammonia and nitrites in 12 hours or less. If it can do it consistently, you have finally, after all this effort, arrived.

You're done mwitha. Dose once more to make sure then continue to feed until you get livestock. All that matters is a consistent move to 0,0,rising.

Back
Top Bottom