fishless cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gazingatstars12

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just hooked up a small ehiem canister filter today in my new 10g tank. I dosed the ammonia to 3ppm and added Bio spira and some filter media from my other tank. I'm showing a nitrate reading of about 10 ppm after a few hours. There's no way the cycle went into hyper drive like this, is there?

So ammonia dropped from 3 to 0? What test kit did you use? What brand of ammonia and how much did you add? It may be possible but you'd need quite a bit of seeded media; I'd check it again and then keep dosing and testing for at least a few more days to a week to ensure ammonia or nitrite doesn't spike.

Janitorial ammonia... I used the online calculator and added the amount it said... about 1.5cc. I waited a while and tested with the API liquid test kit and only had a reading of around. 5. I kept doing this until I reached 3.0 maybe an hour or 2 later. Its still at 3 but I just don't understand where the nitrates came from. They're up to around 20-30 now

Just rechecked the ammonia and it dropped. Its closer to 2.0 than 3.0 now. And I just cut a small piece off my other hob filter. About 1x1/2 inches of the edge of the pad

Its not the test kits. I get accurate readings on my other tank and confirmed the results at a tropical fish store in my area

It just seems like this is happening way to fast. It took me a good long time of daily water changes to do a fish in cycle on my other tank

Never mind.... after reading up on it I shook up my bottle of "pure" ammonia and guess what!! Suds. It had surfactant in it. so i just spent the last few hours flushing every trace of that crap out of my tank, sand, and filter.

Needless to say I'm starting over

Nothing anywhere on the bottle about it. The ingredients say ammonia and water

Nothing I can do about it now. At least all the cleaning is done and I can kinda sorta relax until I goto ace hardware tomorrow

Thanks everyone

Where did you get it? Is it Ace Hardware brand? It may be fine. If you shake it does it foam? Or just some bubbles?

Hholly is right. Both ammonia I have and the one from ace that i didnt use for the cycle; I shake the hell out of it and get plenty of bubbles not foam/suds

I got Dr. Tim's ammonia intended specifically for cycling aquariums. At $3 or so for a small bottle it's not cheap but I know what I have. It's the only ammonia they guarantee with their bacteria additive. Check out their website.

It foams. I had it in the house. I checked the ingredients and it said "pure" ammonia so I just went for it.

Live and learn. I'm gonna check out that Dr tims now. Thanks for mentioning it.... I wouldn't have ever thought of looking for something like that

I placed my order. Just out of curiosity I clicked to see how much 1 day shipping was. My total went from 17 to 85 dollars. I think I can hold out a few days, lol

Yikes!

I tried to buy the bigger bag of shrimp stratum this week. The bag costs only $10 dollars more but the bill went up $30 due to shipping. I got the smaller bag and saved the $20. I can wait until next time to buy more.

Glad I could be helpful. Here's hoping your tank turns out great!

Back
Top Bottom