Fishless Cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheR3dDwarf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm in the process of doing a fishless cycle of my 29 gallon tall tank. I'm at the point right now where I'm seeing my ammo down to about 3 ppm, NitrItes rising above 1 and NitrAtes showed up a few days ago and are now at around 10.

My question is this: I have a marineland 150 HoB filter which is rated up to 30 gallon tanks with a 150 Gph rating. I already know I will be adding a second larger HoB filter to move more water per hour.

Should I be trying to add this as soon as possible to it can start getting the bacteria on its media as well? Will adding this likely cause a mini-cycle in which case I need to do it before stocking?

Thank you all for the info! I've been lurking around here for weeks and you guys and gals are a GREAT source of information to a Newb like me :0

(y)Thank you!!(y)

Adding a filter won't harm anything either way, so you can do it anytime. When you take away stuff (if you remove a filter or some media from a filter that's already running on a tank) that can cause mini-cycle issues but no, adding it won't harm anything at all.

Back
Top Bottom