Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2004, 09:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to bunebop
fishless cycle question

Alright, so I've been having major problems w/ cycling my 50. I've had it cycling for close to 4 weeks now. My ammonia is FINALLY going down, in the last couple days from 4 ppm to 2 ppm, however I have seen NOTHING happening w/ the nitrate or nitrite? Is it possible I missed the nitrite peak? I found out my ammonia was incredibly high, so had to get it down to 4 ppm by going a 50% water change, but that was maybe 2 weeks ago. I did not check the nitrite a lot until just recently... so I was wondering if I could have missed it. I checked the nitrate a couple of days ago, and it was at 0 ppm. I have things (gravel etc) from my established tank in there which SHOULD have spend the stupid thing up. I really wanted this up and w/ fish in it before the 26th? PLZ tell me I'm almost finished and if there's anything else I can/should do?

~55 galFW ~6 zebra danios (I think, haven't seen some in a while), ~7 black skirt tetras, 1 clown pleco, 1 cory cat, 3 pit bull plecos, 1 baby guppy in a breeders net, and 1 red minor tetra

I also have a couple other tanks w/o fish as right now I do not have the room/time and there is a chance of moving in the "near" future so I don't want to get more fish for them. I'm downsizing for the moment.
bunebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 10:10 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

If you have no nitrate then you did not miss the nitrite part. Are you adding ammonia daily to maintain the food source for the bacteria? Also, is the tank heated and filtered?

The seed material really ought to have helped, but only if you have maintained a steady level of ammonia the whole time.

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 10:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have not been adding more ammonia, I've been listening to my bf on this, and he has not told me to so I haven't, but he keeps giving me very bad advice, so I think I am going to stop asking him very soon and just post all my questions on here ... The tank is about 82 degrees... and there are 2 emporer 400's on it.

~55 galFW ~6 zebra danios (I think, haven't seen some in a while), ~7 black skirt tetras, 1 clown pleco, 1 cory cat, 3 pit bull plecos, 1 baby guppy in a breeders net, and 1 red minor tetra

I also have a couple other tanks w/o fish as right now I do not have the room/time and there is a chance of moving in the "near" future so I don't want to get more fish for them. I'm downsizing for the moment.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

If your ammonia is dropping then you must have some nitrites... the ammonia isn't going to just disappear it must be getting converted. Try testing again.
- 30-40 Zebra Danios
- 7 Orange Von Rio Tetras
- 3 Otos
- 1 Bamboo Shrimp

20 Gallon Menagerie
- 4 German Blue Rams (2 Males, 2 Females)
- 1 Dwarf Puffer
- 1 Clown Pleco
- 1 Candy Stripe Goby

5 Gallon Eclipse
- 1 Female Betta
- 2 Otos
- 1 Ghost Shrimp
Maillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 11:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Those are the results I just got. Seems pointless to do it again today?

Old 06-17-2004, 10:17 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Give it some time. If you really want to speed things up, Throw one of your bio-wheels from the 400's (I think the have them...) into one of your established tanks for a few days (they float). I would rinse it to get off any concentrations of ammonia before doing this though.

I put a new bio-wheel into my 55 while I set up a 10 gal. Added ammonia one day, the bio-wheel (seeded from the 55) the next and was cycled in three days.

The gravel you put in may have been handled too much or maybe just not had enough bacteria on it. Hard to say.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:22 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

You will have to add ammonia every day to keep the cycle going, otherwise the bacteria will die. It needs "food" to get established. Once the cycle is done and you have nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria, the fish will supply the food for the bacteria to thrive.

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, fishless, fishless cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com