Fishless cycle stall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I turned off the filter while I was doing my water changes, anyways. I just checked my ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Ammonia is still at 4ppm, nitrite is at 1ppm, and nitrate is at 20ppm.

I'm fearing the worst...

I can't really imagine what could have killed it all off. That makes no sense...
What kind of filter is it??

Puzzling.

What is your tank ph now? Is tap ph quite high?

What sort of tap water treatment did you use.? Just throwing them out to see if anything jogs.

Yeah I am really at a loss, there is no reason anything should have changed with your bacteria colony.

My filter is a Aqueon Quiet Flow 30- a power filter.
My pH is 8.2 in the tap, pretty high. My tank pH is at 8.2.
I use Seachem Prime.
I haven't used any perfume or cleaning spray on or near my fish tank.

I am ecstatic! I tested the water today to find it was .5ppm ammonia, more than 5ppm of nitrite, and 30-40ppm of nitrate. The ammonia got lower and the nitrite and nitrate go higher.

Fish keeping - a rewarding and relaxing experience peering at coloured test tubes and frantic internet reading.... :)

So I should add 2ppm of ammonia every three to four days, right?

Or 4ppm every two days?

Or 2ppm every day?

Why not 2ppm every day?

+1 on this. Should keep the BB going. And do a water change prior to stocking to get the nitrates down.

My fishless cycle handled 4 ppm ammonia a day. That was overkill because the initial stock was 3 cherry and 2 Amano shrimp. I think the BB went on a diet after the shrimp arrived.

I've been adding 2ppm of ammonia every day.

Here are my results today: .25ppm of ammonia, 0ppm of nitrite, and 160ppm of nitrate.

This makes no sense... 0ppm of nitrite? .25ppm of ammonia? What's going on?

Yesterday the results were .25ppm of ammonia, more than 5ppm of nitrite, and 160ppm of nitrate.

Also, my beneficial bacteria used to be able to clear 4ppm in 24 hours. Now it's giving me .25ppm left from a 2ppm dose. *Sigh*

I've been adding 2ppm of ammonia every day.

Here are my results today: .25ppm of ammonia, 0ppm of nitrite, and 160ppm of nitrate.

This makes no sense... 0ppm of nitrite? .25ppm of ammonia? What's going on?

Yesterday the results were .25ppm of ammonia, more than 5ppm of nitrite, and 160ppm of nitrate.

Also, my beneficial bacteria used to be able to clear 4ppm in 24 hours. Now it's giving me .25ppm left from a 2ppm dose. *Sigh*

Hmmm. I can see the zero nitrite. IME the nitrite spike "window" is narrow... A few hours at best. I had to test 2-3 times a day to pick up the nitrite.
Can't explain the residual ammonia.
Is the pH remaining stable?

Yes, the pH is stable... This cycle is full of mysteries.

Back
Top Bottom