fishless cycle taking forever!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmyD

Aquarium Advice Activist
After nearly 3 weeks of ridiculously high nitrite levels and no increase in nitrate, i decided to do a huge water change to get the nitrite to a readable level. I'm now dosing the ammonia a bit lower for a few days and will do another water change if those levels get crazy again. Hopefully things will get moving again now, i have no idea where all this patience is coming from, i guess i'm just determined to do it right and not give up!

Don't be surprised if the nitrites sky rocket again, part of the process. :) same thing happened to me. I stopped dosing amm to 4 and cut it down til I got a amm reading of 2-3, within a week my tank was done cycling!

Fishless Cycle

Good morning Amy..

If you're anxious to get some plants and fish into your tank, you can go ahead with the plants. Next large water change you do to get the toxin levels down to a safe level, get some plants into the tank. Plants will like the more acidic water.

Get some Java fern, Anubias and some mosses. You can also go with some fast growers like Pennywort and Hornwort, Anacharis, and varieties of Hygrophila. Let those do some of the work of filtering your tank water for a couple of days.

Then, get a few real hardy fish. Some that will have no trouble getting through the cycling process, like Feeder Guppies, Platys and some Zebra Danios.

Keep testing the water and when the toxins get too high, bring them down to a safe level with a large water change.

B

ocean said:
Don't be surprised if the nitrites sky rocket again, part of the process. :) same thing happened to me. I stopped dosing amm to 4 and cut it down til I got a amm reading of 2-3, within a week my tank was done cycling!

Could this mean a large water change every day or every other day to get the nitrite down? The ammonia has been dropping from 5 to 0 in 24 hours for well over a month, should be pretty close now :)

BBradbury said:
Good morning Amy..

If you're anxious to get some plants and fish into your tank, you can go ahead with the plants. Next large water change you do to get the toxin levels down to a safe level, get some plants into the tank. Plants will like the more acidic water.

Get some Java fern, Anubias and some mosses. You can also go with some fast growers like Pennywort and Hornwort, Anacharis, and varieties of Hygrophila. Let those do some of the work of filtering your tank water for a couple of days.

Then, get a few real hardy fish. Some that will have no trouble getting through the cycling process, like Feeder Guppies, Platys and some Zebra Danios.

Keep testing the water and when the toxins get too high, bring them down to a safe level with a large water change.

B

Thanks for the advice on the plants, i've been thinking about plants recently. As for the fish, i think i'll wait untill the tank's completely cycled, thank you :)

AmyD said:
Could this mean a large water change every day or every other day to get the nitrite down? The ammonia has been dropping from 5 to 0 in 24 hours for well over a month, should be pretty close now :)

Cut your amm down, dosing to five is high, most people dose to 4, :) if the nitrites are unreadable ( to high)do a large water change and dose amm to only 2-3. What are the nitrates reading? Sounds like you are almost done with your fishless cycle!! :)

Please do not add fish right now, no need to! :)

Hi Amy! You are almost there!! I encountered the same problem and it took 9 days for my tank to cycle once i started doing massive water changes to get my nitrites under control. Yes, i know it defeats the purpose of fishless cycling & no water changes, but its what worked for me. I believe (i cant back this up with facts, just experience) that the insane nitrite levels somehow inhibit the nitrtie>nitrate conversion. Once the nitrite levels are under control(keep dosing amm), things seem to move along quite quickly! :)

No nitrates yet just did the huge water change last night to get nitrite down to about 2ppm i also dosed ammo to about 2ppm. DW no intention of getting fish untill i'm fully cycled, i've waited a long time as it is so a few more weeks won't matter :)

jlk said:
Hi Amy! You are almost there!! I encountered the same problem and it took 9 days for my tank to cycle once i started doing massive water changes to get my nitrites under control. Yes, i know it defeats the purpose of fishless cycling & no water changes, but its what worked for me. I believe (i cant back this up with facts, just experience) that the insane nitrite levels somehow inhibit the nitrtie>nitrate conversion. Once the nitrite levels are under control(keep dosing amm), things seem to move along quite quickly! :)

It certainly seems like high nitrite levels stall the cycle, fingers crossed things should get moving now. It was your post that made me do a large water change to get levels down so thanks :)

You're doing very well and are to be commended for your commitment. :) I'd say you should be close as well. My nitrites were high for almost 3 weeks before they came down. A pwc is a good idea at this point; it may take more than one to get the nitrites at a readable level (<2 would be best). Then as you said, dose ammonia to 1 for a few days to let the bacteria catch up then go back to the 4-5 dosing. Nitrites might rise again. If they do, another pwc shouldn't be needed unless they stay high for over a week with no sign of coming down.

As for the nitrate, are you using the API kit? That test is very easy to get incorrect results with if the test isn't done exact. I'd shake both bottles well before using them (particularly bottle #2 for the full 30 seconds the test kit says to shake it for) and bang the bottom of the bottles on a table. Bottle #2 has a reagent powder that tends to get clumped and can cause incorrect readings. Also be sure you vigorously shake the test tube for the full 60 seconds. You should be seeing nitrates by now but it's possible the high nitrites stalled some of the process. The water changes should help. Let us know what happens.

BBradbury said:
Good morning Amy..

B

That goes against the entire purpose of fishless cycling, and the OP might has well have done a fish-in cycle from day one. Basically she just wasted weeks of her life if she follows that advice. Plus, at this point she would be introducing her fish directly into the nitrIte spike phase which is potentially the most dangerous. If the ammo > no2 bacteria is established but the no2 > no3 is lacking...it's a recipe for sudden and dramatic nitrIte spikes.

librarygirl said:
You're doing very well and are to be commended for your commitment. :) I'd say you should be close as well. My nitrites were high for almost 3 weeks before they came down. A pwc is a good idea at this point; it may take more than one to get the nitrites at a readable level (<2 would be best). Then as you said, dose ammonia to 1 for a few days to let the bacteria catch up then go back to the 4-5 dosing. Nitrites might rise again. If they do, another pwc shouldn't be needed unless they stay high for over a week with no sign of coming down.

As for the nitrate, are you using the API kit? That test is very easy to get incorrect results with if the test isn't done exact. I'd shake both bottles well before using them (particularly bottle #2 for the full 30 seconds the test kit says to shake it for) and bang the bottom of the bottles on a table. Bottle #2 has a reagent powder that tends to get clumped and can cause incorrect readings. Also be sure you vigorously shake the test tube for the full 60 seconds. You should be seeing nitrates by now but it's possible the high nitrites stalled some of the process. The water changes should help. Let us know what happens.

I've got the nitrate test sorted i had a couple of wiered results before but i shake that bottle like crazy now! I have a very low amount of nitrate showing up but it's no more than is in my tap water :) thanks for the advice, you guys here are great!

Ok so just tested the water ammonia 0ppm, nitrite between 2 and 5ppm, nitrate between 40 and 80 ppm from <5ppm is it possible for the nitrate to shoot up that much in 24 hours? Did the test exactly as i usually do, could this be good news?

Tonight's test results: ammo 0ppm, nitrite 5ppm and nitrate looks a little darker than 80ppm. Looking good :)

Back
Top Bottom