Fishless Cycle with Ammonium NitrAte?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've heard this question asked on numerous sites and have never found a definitive answer. I have heard a number of times that the production of it creates by-products and is also occasionally treated in order to hold it's form. If that's true, I'm not sure it'd be a safe bet and definitely worth searching for a bottle of the pure stuff from a local hardware store.

Plus, with some of the things ammonium nitrate has been used for in the past...the Department of Homeland Security might have some questions for you when you go to buy it, lol.

Thanks for the reply. I have been doing some research and have found that instance cold packs, the single use ones, contain alomst pure ammonium nitrate and a packet of distiller water.
So it will not be hard to get, guess I will just have to try.

You wouldn't catch me experimenting with it, but let us know how it works out. At the very least I'd do a 100% pwc and run carbon for a while after the cycle is complete before adding fish to be on the safe side. If there is ammonia the tank should cycle, I'd be more concerned with any byproducts left in the water column affecting the fish once they are introduced. I'll be curious to hear the results.

Back
Top Bottom