Fishless cycle with carbon in the OTB or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deckape

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I started my 55 gallon up last night with advice from the site. All are awesome. But it wasn't readily apparent to me if the carbon filter inserts should be there or not. My ammonia level is at 4 ppm and Ph is about 8.2. I did a PWC this morning because I got an amost 8ppm. Just wondering and thanks for the reply from the member when I asked this in someone else's thread. He or she said no but just wondering if there are any other schools of thought. Appreciate any answers. Love this site OBTW.

I have to admit I never really gave the idea much thought. My 29 gallon tank cycled with carbon in it's filter. I really don't see how it can hurt. The only thing I'd be concerned about is that the carbon will be ineffective by the time you add your fish.

Save the carbon. I only use the carbon if I'm trying to remove tannins or medication from the water.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks everyone. I will lean on y'all if you don't mind from time to time. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom