Fishless cycle with empty tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neilanh

Sliced Bread
So I just picked up a 20high for my planted project. I'm still working on figuring out lighting, substrate, all that good stuff, but I'd like to get the cycle going. Is it okay to do with the tank empty (well, with just water) and no substrate? I assume it's okay since people run tanks with no substrate, but wanted to check

I think I'm gonna use an AC50 for filtration. That work?

Seed material will be from my 46

Just run the AC50 on the 46 for a few weeks. Then, when you have the 29 ready and stock picked out, you just move the established filter over and you're good. You may see a mini-cycle, but if you stock lightly to start it should be fine.

Sounds like a good plan, I'll see if I can manage it. I don't know that there's room on the 46 for another HOB. With the Emp280 and the XP3's spraybar, and heater, there's not much room left on the back of the tank.

I'll see what i can do.

Oh no you don't. After the problems with the last cycle, how about you stick to just one tank for now, k? :D

Hey, that's all behind me now. Stop living in the past and help me realize my dreams.

Or something like that. lol

Well for the foam insert for the new filter you could cut a slit in it and put it over the intake of the emperor. That would seed it very nicely and then you just need to find a place to put the other media (maybe cram it in your canister if you can).

For all intents and purposes, you could just cram the pads and whatever bio-media you're going to use in a nylon and let it sit right in the 46. It might not be the most aesthetically pleasing solution, but it will sure do the trick and you won't have to fiddle with storing it an existing filter.

justrelax said:
For all intents and purposes, you could just cram the pads and whatever bio-media you're going to use in a nylon and let it sit right in the 46. It might not be the most aesthetically pleasing solution, but it will sure do the trick and you won't have to fiddle with storing it an existing filter.

I always assumed you wanted to run the filter itself so that you'd guarantee water flow through the sponge/media/etc. No?

majolo said:
justrelax said:

I always assumed you wanted to run the filter itself so that you'd guarantee water flow through the sponge/media/etc. No?

Correct. While you will get some bacteria on the media if you just stick it in a bag, the amount will be much less than forcing a flow through it.

My original plan was to steal a bunch of the ceramic rings from the 46 as seed material, placing them right in the AC for the 20gallon. But I guess I could also stuff some sponge stuff from the AC in either my hob or canister for now. That might be easier than trying to get this 3d filter on the 46 for a month.

Back
Top Bottom