Fishless cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leofan123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ve been fishless cycling my tank for about three months. Right now the ammonia is at zero ppm and the nitrite is at a little over ten and the nnitrate is somewhere around 160. I've read and read and read but people keep saying the nitrite is supposed to spike first, then th nitrate will and "eat" the nitrite. I've been adding ammonia into my tank and it's been doing very well (going back to zero very quickly) but my nitrite and nitrates have been the same since they started spiking (two weeks ago?) and I feel like it's not right. I'm trying to be patient but not sure what to do! Advice strongly suggested!!!

So your nitrates won't test any higher... But it goes from ammonia to nitrites to nitrates. The reason I'm guessing your nitrites arent going down is cause you keep adding ammonia. Stop adding ammonia and see if the trites drop. Once ammonia and nitrites are 0 add ammonia till it reads 4 then test in 24 hours. If ammonia and nitrites are 0 then your cycled and can do a huge water change to get down those nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom