fishless cycling 6 weeks in..HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allsop

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am six weeks into fishless cycling. Got the ammonia up to around 5ppm to start with, I had my nitrite spike around the second week and they have been at zero since about a week after that and have stayed that way. My nitrates are between 40-60. The tank seems to be able to burn through about 2 ppms of ammonia in a 24 hour period. It seems to be a constant cycle of burning through about 2ppm every day. Never been able to get down to 0
It has been 6 weeks this past Tuesday...what am I doing wrong? I am wondering if the PH is to low.. Will the tank not fishless cycle? I even went out and purchased a new ammonia test kit from aquarium pharmaceuticals thinking something was wrong with my kit, but no change.

Tank Info
45 Gal
Fluval 304 Filter
Undergravel filter with 1 power head

Ammonia is at 1ppm have not added any in almost 36 hours
Nitrate is around 40
Nitrite is 0
ph is around 6 or less
ph city tap water is around 7.2 7.8
Thanks in advance for you help.

Just keep dping the water changes - have heart it will improve.

Do you have any plants? They will help the cycling. Also we fed our imaginary fish during the fishless cycle - and amazingly snails appeared. After that - it all seemed to work. Touch wood - although we only have two guppies and an algae eater in week ten.

Are you adding ammonia still? If so, stop. You'll never get the ammonia down to 0 if you keep adding it. Give the tank about three days and test for ammonia/nitrite. If the readings are 0, it's time to add the fish.

Back
Top Bottom