Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-27-2003, 02:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

fishless cycling

OK. Can anyone explain exactly how to cycle without fish? (using ammonia). Ie- how many drops per gallon, how long it takes, what supplies are neededto be turned on (ex-heater, filter),how do you know if its pure? etc. Also, what is BIO-Spira? Do I need it? Where can I find it?.....well, thats it for now, thx for any info. Moe

Old 08-27-2003, 03:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
This is the site that I used for instructions. I'm on day 11, and should be ready to add fish this weekend.

http://www.tomgriffin.com/aquamag/cycle2.html

Old 08-27-2003, 10:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Shaw gave you a great site about fishless cycling, so I'll handle the Bio-Spira question

Bio-Spira is "instant cycle" in a bag. Basically, some folks did a bunch of studies in the past decade, and discovered the bacteria we all THOUGHT took care of ammonia and nitrites were the wrong bacteria. Marineland managed to package the CORRECT bacteria and have started selling it. Basically its added with the fish to a new tank (with conditioned water of course), and the issues with cycling are no longer issues. Of course, you'd want to test the water just in case you had gotten a bad batch (it must be kept cold till adding it), but if the bacteria are good, your tank is cycled from the beginning.

Most lfs are starting to carry it. If you decide to go that route and can't find it, look for a moderator named Bernie on www.fishgeeks.com . He owns a lfs and ships Bio-Spira all over the states.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycling, fishless, fishless cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com