Fishless cycling a 55 - My experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Were you holding the nitrite test tube against the card when you read it? The nitrite test is easy to misread if it's not against the white background of the card. My pessimism leads me to guess that you're seeing a false positive.

If I were you, here's the way I would proceed.

1. Do a big PWC. 50% at least. Add your dechlorinator before refilling the tank. Test for ammonia. If you're not below 4ppm, do another PWC. It won't hurt anything and I've found a PWC will help a stalled cycle.

2. Ask your LFS for a cup of gravel or something out of their filters. Some might charge you something, but it'll speed the cycle.

3. Crank your heater if you haven't done so.

4. Be patient. The first time I did a fishless cycle, I was a little generous with the ammonia and I stalled the cycle. It took six weeks to finally complete, but probably would have taken three or four if I hadn't stalled it out. The cycle picked up after I added a cup of sand from an established tank.

Stalled definitely cycle is. 0X

I did a 35% water change on Saturday. I'm going to test the water tonight and see what I come up with.

Don't let a stalled cycle make you think twice.

If you are really feeling stressed, buy Bio-Spira, which is "bacteria in a bottle" (or pouch, depending on what brand you buy). When I did my first fishless cycle, I was stalled for weeks with nitrites and couldn't take it anymore. I went to my LFS and the kid working there went upstairs and got me a pouch of Bio-Spira. It was expensive and needed to be refrigerated until use, but he informed me that it would surly provide the right amount of nitrifying bacteria to "eat up" the rest of the nitrite. Well, he was right. My cycle ended 24 hours after adding it.

If I recall, there are two companies that make such a product that have been proven to work, but I think it is hit or miss.

Good luck man.

What's your PH?

I cycled a 55 gallon tank with fish, and it was a total PITA.

So...I did a tank water test last night and the good news is that the ammonia went down (obviously) and the nitrites seem to have risen a little. Not sure though, still getting the hang of reading the color chart. Green definitely got lighter and purple got darker.

Another Test: (21 days after initial ammonia dose and 50% water change)
Ammonia - 2ppm
Nitrites - 1ppm
Ammonia added: NONE

Now what? Do I wait and see if the ammonia drops some more? :evil:

What's your PH?

I cycled a 55 gallon tank with fish, and it was a total PITA.

When I tested it at the beginning it was 7.6 from the tap, not sure now though. I haven't tested it in the tank since I started.

Were you holding the nitrite test tube against the card when you read it? The nitrite test is easy to misread if it's not against the white background of the card. My pessimism leads me to guess that you're seeing a false positive.

If I were you, here's the way I would proceed.

1. Do a big PWC. 50% at least. Add your dechlorinator before refilling the tank. Test for ammonia. If you're not below 4ppm, do another PWC. It won't hurt anything and I've found a PWC will help a stalled cycle.

2. Ask your LFS for a cup of gravel or something out of their filters. Some might charge you something, but it'll speed the cycle.

3. Crank your heater if you haven't done so.

4. Be patient. The first time I did a fishless cycle, I was a little generous with the ammonia and I stalled the cycle. It took six weeks to finally complete, but probably would have taken three or four if I hadn't stalled it out. The cycle picked up after I added a cup of sand from an established tank.

I did number 1 and 3 was already done. It's been at a steady 85 degrees since I started.

As for number 3, I'm gonna stop at the LFS today and try to get some filter media or some gravel. Any suggestions on getting it home? If they won't help me, I'm almost positive they will though, would Tetra SafeStart be a good alternative or is it a waste of time and money?

And number 4. I'm trying my best. :) I have actually surprised myself these past few weeks. By nature I'm a very impatient person and this seems to be helping. I just hope the end result is all worth it.

I did number 1 and 3 was already done. It's been at a steady 85 degrees since I started.

As for number 3, I'm gonna stop at the LFS today and try to get some filter media or some gravel. Any suggestions on getting it home? If they won't help me, I'm almost positive they will though, would Tetra SafeStart be a good alternative or is it a waste of time and money?

And number 4. I'm trying my best. :) I have actually surprised myself these past few weeks. By nature I'm a very impatient person and this seems to be helping. I just hope the end result is all worth it.

Bring a little plastic container and ask if you can have some of their tank water to put the seed material in. I'm sure they won't have a problem with it...I'll never forget when I did my first cycle that I was turned down seed material from two LFS :bad-words:

Well I stopped by the LFS last night. They said they couldn't give me any gavel or filter media from an established tank. :(

Anyways. I talked to 2 different employees in 2 different departments. 1 in the fish room and 1 on the floor where they sell the supplies. They both recommended a product called "Microbe-Lift Special Blend" and a product called "Microbe-Lift Nite Out II" to cycle my tank. I was skeptical at first but the fact that they both swore by it and assured me it was the ONLY thing they used to set up all tanks in the store. They have 100's of tanks and all of them look darn good. I figured why not and bought a bottle. It was $8.99 for a 16oz. It definitely can't hurt and I have a lot of faith in my LFS.

The store is "That Pet Place" in Lancaster, PA. It is well known and has been around for 25+ years.

Here's a link to the "Special Blend"
Microbe-Lift.com :: Special Blend

and "Nite Out II"
Microbe-Lift.com :: Nite-Out II

Another Test. (22 days after intial ammonia dose)

My results were:
PH - 7.6/8.0?
Ammonia - 2ppm
Nitrites - 1ppm?
Nitrates - 40-80ppm?
Ammonia added: NONE

Well I stopped by the LFS last night. They said they couldn't give me any gavel or filter media from an established tank. :(

Anyways. I talked to 2 different employees in 2 different departments. 1 in the fish room and 1 on the floor where they sell the supplies. They both recommended a product called "Microbe-Lift Special Blend" and a product called "Microbe-Lift Nite Out II" to cycle my tank. I was skeptical at first but the fact that they both swore by it and assured me it was the ONLY thing they used to set up all tanks in the store. They have 100's of tanks and all of them look darn good. I figured why not and bought a bottle. It was $8.99 for a 16oz. It definitely can't hurt and I have a lot of faith in my LFS.

The store is "That Pet Place" in Lancaster, PA. It is well known and has been around for 25+ years.

Here's a link to the "Special Blend"
Microbe-Lift.com :: Special Blend

and "Nite Out II"
Microbe-Lift.com :: Nite-Out II

That Pet Place is an awesome company. I used to order from them a lot; I even got a $40 gift card from them because my photo made the cover of their catalog!

Good luck with that stuff. Never heard of it; if it doesn't work, go the Bio-Spira route (that is if they still make it).

That Pet Place is an awesome company. I used to order from them a lot; I even got a $40 gift card from them because my photo made the cover of their catalog!

Good luck with that stuff. Never heard of it; if it doesn't work, go the Bio-Spira route (that is if they still make it).

Yeah I actually live 15 mins from the actual retail store. :p

That's awesome that you got on their catalog!

I have faith that it will work. That Pet Place hasn't steered me wrong yet, and if they cycle their in-store tanks with this stuff and it works without fail every time. I believe them.

Yeah they still sell Bio-Spira. TPP actually has some in stock. It is only for Marine use only though. Tetra Safestart is the new product name, I guess Tetra bought the formula, and it's specifically for Freshwater. The guy I talked to compared the "Special Blend" and "Nite Out II" to Bio-Spira and Tetra SafeStart.

Well....The "Microbe-Lift Special Blend" and "Nite-Out II" seems to have done it's job. Not without a few lost lives though. :sad:

I added the stuff on November 16th and last night, (one week later), my test results were.
PH: 7.6-7.8
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 40-50ppm

I started with 7 Glowlight Danios (Danio Choprai) and 3 Amano Shrimp (Caridina Multidentata).

To be completely honest, I found 3 dead Danios the next morning. They were stuck to the filter intake. I figured they were stressed from the move. So stupid me went back to the LFS and purchased 4 more Danio Choprai and was a little more careful acclimating them. I even left the light off for 12 hours and kept my apartment dark so they would be more comfortable and have plenty of time to get their bearings.

So on Thursday the 19th I had 8 Danios and 3 shrimp. Everything was good for a few days and they looked absolutely amazing! Then Saturday I tested the water for Ammonia and got a reading of .25ppm. Not thinking I panicked and did a 75% water change. :dope: Afterwards I realized that I most likely doomed my remaining fish by changing so much water. It's funny how after all the research I did, I still manage to mess up. :mad:

So about an hour after refilling the tank, 2 more Danio bodies. I kind of expected more to die. Then I was down to 6 Danios and 3 shrimp. I figure OK, they're lives were not lost in vain. They died so their brothers could live happy healthy lives and I learned a lot throughout the whole ordeal.

Now Sunday night I'm checking up on the Danios and wouldn't you know it 4 vanished into thin air. To top it off 1 of my shrimps was found in the filter intake. I loved that little guy. Now I have 2 Danios and 2 shrimp. After taking the filter intake off to remove the shrimp I discovered 1 of the vanishing Danios but 3 are still MIA. :confused: I guess the Amanos got a tasty snack while I was sleeping.

The moral of the story. STOCK SLOWLY!

I'm not buying anymore fish for a couple weeks. I want to make darn sure my levels stay at 0 for a while.

On a side note: I found it amazing that more Danios died than the Amano Shrimp. I thought the Amanos were extremely sensitive to ammonia and water parameters in general?

Good news everyone!

The original danios and amanos are still alive. :grin:

I added 3 more Danio Chopraes and 2 more Amano Shrimp last week.

Tank is finally cycled! after months of BS and mis-guided info:uzi:

Do yourself a favor and just go buy "Simple Guide to Fresh Water Aquariums" read it front to back, follow the instructions the author gives you exactly and you'll be set with minimal headaches. After all the "research" I did on here. I ended up referring back to the book and everything went smooth from then on. Stay off the forums for your info unless you want get frustrated and be one of the many who sells your fish tank and next summers yard sale.
Amazon.com: The Simple Guide to Fresh Water Aquariums (Simple Guide to...) (9780793821013): David E. Boruchowitz: Books

I've learned through doing....that fishless cycling is a PITA and not worth it regardless of how many "experts" tell you it is better. It is much wiser for a beginner to go the old school way of using fish to cycle and stocking very slowly. I inspected the fish everyday for about a month and not once did they seem stressed. The only deaths I had were during the intial stocking...which is expected..and when I stupidly did a 75% Water Change. I'll never do that again. haha

That is another benefit. You get to watch the fish and at the first sign of stress, do a PWC. It is that simple. People make it seem like you're the Devil if you do a cycle with fish. I can only speak for myself, but I only had to do 1 PWC the whole time I cycled. WTF!? I am starting to think forums for fishkeeping are a waste of time. All they do is overload you with information when all you really need is a clear cut path to success. There are way to many opinions and not enough concrete answers.

Just thought I'd share my final results incase anyone stumbles across this. I for one have decided to leave the forum and focus on my fish instead of talking about them. Lol. I have way to many responsibilities and I can't find time to come on here anymore. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice. Good luck! :wave:

REMEMBER: This is all my personal experience and opinion. I am not an expert fish keeper, I'm a beginner who almost gave up because of the abundance of contradictory information. If you don't like what I have to say, keep it to yourself. Thank you! :wink:

Glad everything worked out for you and glad that book helped you.

As for my opinions, I'll keep them to myself. Despite that, though, I must say that every forum has contradicting information, and that AA has brought me very far and saved my *** countless times from making stupid mistakes.

Oh, and also, in fishkeeping, "opinions" are what drive the hobby. What works for one person may not work for another. That's what makes it so interesting.

*Edit* One more thing; fishless cycle can be brought down to under two weeks if you have proper seed material from a given tank. Simple as pie.

Glad everything worked out for you and glad that book helped you.

As for my opinions, I'll keep them to myself. Despite that, though, I must say that every forum has contradicting information, and that AA has brought me very far and saved my *** countless times from making stupid mistakes.

Oh, and also, in fishkeeping, "opinions" are what drive the hobby. What works for one person may not work for another. That's what makes it so interesting.

*Edit* One more thing; fishless cycle can be brought down to under two weeks if you have proper seed material from a given tank. Simple as pie.

Precisely why I left. I was overloaded with info and getting frustrated. I was really close to selling it all. After leaving the forums and focusing on a few books. I was able to develop a clear plan and see it through. That is hard to do when you have multiple scenarios coming from multiple sources.

*I know this thread is old, but I started it....and it is interesting to see how I've changed in 10 months time. I was such a noob! :facepalm: Oh well, I learned a lot. Now I can share with you, so you don't do what I did.

Back
Top Bottom