Fishless cycling advice, help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kellydsxo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:oops: I brought a Interpet Fish Pod 64L fish tank last friday i've added the decorations, gravel, water, water conditioner, the filter, heater, lights etc - I have been adding fish food as a source of ammonia and have been testing the water it says there is no ammonia but really high in nitrites how long does this fishless cycling take? Any tips? Also do I have to add fish food daily? I've also brought Nutrafin cycle - I havent added it yet was wondering whether it works and how to use it? Any other advice would be helpful im a beginner on this so thank you :) Oh also do I have to do water changes during this fishless cycling?

Last edited by a moderator:
:oops: I brought a Interpet Fish Pod 64L fish tank last friday i've added the decorations, gravel, water, water conditioner, the filter, heater, lights etc - I have been adding fish food as a source of ammonia and have been testing the water it says there is no ammonia but really high in nitrites how long does this fishless cycling take? Any tips? Also do I have to add fish food daily? I've also brought Nutrafin cycle - I havent added it yet was wondering whether it works and how to use it? Any other advice would be helpful im a beginner on this so thank you :) Oh also do I have to do water changes during this fishless cycling?

Hello. Welcome to AA. When it comes to cycling, you made the right decision, fish less is always easier for beginners. The way cycling works is that you provide a source of ammonia (I recommend bacteria in a battle or something similar) and then the minibus changes into nitrites , and then the nitrites to nitrate. Cycling can take a few weeks or a few month, depending on your progress. When a tank is completely cycled it ill have no nitrites and no ammonia, with a smallish reading for nitrates (20-40ppm.) The fact that you don't have any ammonia is a good sign, and means that you may be close to the end of your cycle. No water changes needed into fish are added unless the water gets gross. Good Luck with your tank! Your doing great :)

Hi! Can I ask what tests you are using (brand, liquid or strips)? I find it very unlikely your tank has started the cycling process after only three days unless you added lots of cycled media. Can you please post your results for your tap water in addition to your tank water (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph)? Thanks!

Here are my results - PH - 7.6
AMMONIA - 0PPM
NITRITE - 5PPM
NITRATE - 5.0PPM

I did take some pictures but im not sure how to get them on here :/

Are these results for your tank or your tap? Are you trying to post pic from your computer or the app?

Please test your tap as well and post these results, too.

For uploading pics from your computer, it's pretty straightforward. Click on the 'advanced reply' button below instead of 'quick reply'. It will bring up a new screen with a msg box for typing your reply. There are icons on the top of the box- click the 'paperclip' symbol. You then can browse your computer for which files/pics you want to upload and attach. That's about it! :)

:) ok i shall test the tap water today aswell, thanks :)

Attachments

• kelly phone 563.jpg
    kelly phone 563.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 44
  • kelly phone 564.jpg
    kelly phone 564.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 51
  • kelly phone 565.jpg
    kelly phone 565.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited by a moderator:
Your ph is maxed on the regular ph test. A 'blue' reading can indicate a reading of 7.6 or any number higher than 7.6. Please check your tank and your tap with the high range ph test as well so we have an accurate number for your ph. I suspect it may be higher than 7.6.

tank test results i did today.. 17/5/13

Attachments

• kelly phone 316.jpg
    kelly phone 316.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 36
  • kelly phone 314.jpg
    kelly phone 314.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 36
  • kelly phone 310.jpg
    kelly phone 310.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 41
  • kelly phone 315.jpg
    kelly phone 315.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 46
Ok, which pic is which (tank or tap)? Your ph looks on the high side of things. Pics can be a bit distorted color wise but is the high ph a shade of purple?

Back
Top Bottom