Fishless Cycling Concern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Italian Mike

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gallon, planted tank. I am doing a fishless cycling. Other than me being impatient, all is going well. Just yesterday I got my first sign of Nitrates spiking (20 - 40 ppm). This AM I have no Ammonia and low Nitrites (less than 0.5 ppm). Nitrates are 80, I am guessing - beautiful cherry red test tube reading! I have to go on travel tomorrow AM and I will return Wed late PM. I have someone to add the proper amount of ammonia. Cannot do testing or a water change.

Should I do a water change now or will all be OK for the next 4 days?

BTW. Everyone's input here is so helpful. Thank you for sharing your successes and failures.

Either way is fine. The elevated nitrates should not be an issue. I have not heard of nitrate levels interrupting a cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'd do a water change and dose the ammonia before you go. I believe I've heard that elevated nitrate levels can stall a cycle.

Add Ammonia back to 4ppm and do not do a water change.

Only add Ammonia when it gets to zero ppm.

Only do a water change when the cycle is completed or the cycle stalls.

So I changed out 2 gallons of water, dosed to 3ppm. My wife continued dosing while I was gone. When I got home, zero ammonia and nitrites. Nitrates very high. Dosed again and same results 12 hours later. Changed out 7 gallons of water and we are cycled! :thanks: for the advice.

I have to admit, it is very hard to be patient with this process. First the Nitrites don't budge and then the Nitrates take forever to show. Besides, we get an aquarium for the fish not these invisible bacteria!! But I am ready for my fish!

I have heard that whatever time it takes for the Ammonia bacteria to build up, then expect for double that time for the Nitrite bacteria to build up.

So I changed out 2 gallons of water, dosed to 3ppm. My wife continued dosing while I was gone. When I got home, zero ammonia and nitrites. Nitrates very high. Dosed again and same results 12 hours later. Changed out 7 gallons of water and we are cycled! :thanks: for the advice.

I have to admit, it is very hard to be patient with this process. First the Nitrites don't budge and then the Nitrates take forever to show. Besides, we get an aquarium for the fish not these invisible bacteria!! But I am ready for my fish!

Hi mike. May I ask how long tour cycle took in total?

My friend said that fish keepers don't keep fish, they keep water. I do see what she means, the invisible bacteria and resulting water conditions are critical for success. The fish just need a bit of food, easy compared to keeping the water. ?.
Congrats on your completed cycle and enjoy your fish. ?????

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom