Fishless Cycling Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William470

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone I just signed up to AA last night. Did not have a chance to post until now.

I have a 29 gallon tank. I started my fishless cycling on March 13th. Presently here is where I am at:

Ammonia - Around 4 ppm
Nitrites - 0 ppm
Nitrates - Have not checked as I will explain.
Water Temp is 85.5
pH - 7.6
High Range pH - 8.0

I followed a fishless cycling article that was very similar to the one that is a Sticky here. I have checked my Ammonia levels and Nitrite levels everyday since March 13th and have not seen any changes.

I have been for the past several days thinking of re-starting my cycle by completely draining out the tank and starting all over. But I wanted to see what I may have did wrong to not get my cycle started.

When I filled my tank and added the de-chlorinater (API Tap Water Conditioner) I let it run for a little while. According to the article I read it said to add 3 teaspoons. Three teaspoons equals 1 Tablespoon. Waited about an hour or so and tested for Ammonia with API's Freshwater Master Test Kit. Got a reading around 4 ppm so I left it alone. Checked again everyday when I came home from work. Same result as before. Water level getting a little low so I topped off and added the de-chlorinater. One time I checked my Ammonia level and it dropped some so I got it back to around 4 ppm. Which this is where I think my problem starts. Not sure though.

Now everyday when I come home and check my Ammonia and Nitrite levels I get the same results. Ammonia reads the shade of green around the one below 8 ppm and Nitrite reads the light blue.

On day16 and I have been thinking of restarting. What have I done wrong?

My tank setup is:

29 gallon glass tank
Aquaclear 70 (one sold at Big Al's for 19.99 as Powerfilter 70) with foam sponge media (that was included) and Aquaclear Bio-Max media
Marineland Visitherm Stealth 150w heater
About 1 1/2" - 2" of gravel
A few plants (all artificial) and a few decor items
A bubble wand (which I am willing to switch to something else)

Quick post

I am using Prue Ammonia that I purchased at a True Value Hardware store. Only place I could find that sold Ammonia without sufficant. Making sure I shook the bottle and no bubbles formed. What bubbles did form quickly went away.

Sounds like you did it the right way. Patience is the key now. You might not see any nitrite for a few weeks yet. You can try to speed up the cycle a bit by seeding the tank with substrate or filter media from an established tank. My 20L took about six weeks even with sand and sponge from my 29g.

Welcome to AA :) It sounds to me like your ammonia level might have gotten a bit too high causing the cycle to stall...
Ammonia reads the shade of green around the one below 8 ppm
8ppm can stall the cycle, probably what has happened, at least its the only logical explanation based on your description of what you've done so far. get the ammonia back down to 4ppm and give it some more time.

Thanks for the welcome and replies.

After reading your posts I did a big water change. Probably about a 90% change. Before I had to head out of the house for a while. But I got everything back up and running before i had to leave.

Got home around around 9:45 p.m. And checked the ammonia level. Looks like I am at around 2 ppm.

It is kind of late to add any ammonia and to test. Is it ok for it to be this way until I get home from work tomorrow? Should I leave it this way for a couple of days to see where the ammonia level reads?

i'd bump it back up to 4ppm when you get a chance... 2ppm can still cycle the tank, i just prefer 4 because it allows for a bigger colony of bacteria when you initially add fish, helping prevent a mini cycle

i'd bump it back up to 4ppm when you get a chance... 2ppm can still cycle the tank, i just prefer 4 because it allows for a bigger colony of bacteria when you initially add fish, helping prevent a mini cycle

Ok before coming home from work I stopped at a local pharmacy and picked up an infant medicine dropper. Just so I can add drops and not pour as I had with measuring spoons.

I added 3 drops of Ammonia before I had to go and pick up my fiance's children. After being out about an hour and then cooking dinner. I re-tested my ammonia levels and now I am somewhere between 3 - 4 ppm. Probably closer to 3 then 4 but I hate to add more as to go over where I want to be.

Dont worry with it... you'll have to dose more eventually... anywhere between 3 and 4 is ok... and as hard as it is to tell on most of the test kits, you could be at 4 and not realize it :) Btw, great idea on the medicine dropper... those work great (i just used one that came with infants tylenol... my 4 month old is teething :()

Dont worry with it... you'll have to dose more eventually... anywhere between 3 and 4 is ok... and as hard as it is to tell on most of the test kits, you could be at 4 and not realize it :) Btw, great idea on the medicine dropper... those work great (i just used one that came with infants tylenol... my 4 month old is teething :()

Thanks, I like how quick the replies come.

I read on line somewhere that adding to much ammonia would cause bubbles to form on top of the water. I infact had that so much that the bubbles would form to the bottom of my lid. Since I did the water change and added the ammonia. I turned on my bubble wand and now what bubbles do form go away rather quickly.

So now I wait and check my ammonia levels.

In the mean time I will do my research on the fish I plan to add once cycled. I have done this many times. I keep going with Red Wag Platys and a Dwarf Gourami. I now need to read about Pleco's. I think they are cool looking and would like to add one.

Thanks again for the quick replies and advice. I know I will probably need more help as this goes along.

Bill

my biggest problem with livebearers are that they can get so overpopulated so quickly. if you have a way of rehoming the fry, by all means go for it. As for the pleco, make sure to get a dwarf like a bristlenose or rubber lipped. the commons get so big they'll outgrow even a 200+ gallon tank easy.

Back
Top Bottom