Fishless cycling help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Susandettmer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been cycling my tank since August 5th. I measure daily with API master test kit. I cannot get nitrites!!!! My ammonia is at 2.0, ( added ammonia yesterday) and my nitrites are at zero as well as nitrates. Why isn't it converting? I used dr tims one & only & their ammonia drops.

The "one and only" is probably of no use. That's generally been my experience with bacteria in a bottle. If your ammonia is consistently going down, you should soon see nitrites. Just be patient. Also, I'm surprised you saw any nitrates. You'll need nitrite converting bacteria to produce nitrates, which does not happen until nitrites show up.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would say the nitrates showing up is due to the funky API nitrate test . Gotta shake the **** out of bottle #2....lol

Measured ammonia, nitrite & nitrate when I got home from work. Today ammonia is still at 2.0, 0 nitrite, 5.0 nitrate. Normal for it to stay the same?

Last edited:
Yes normal at first . Just test ammonia and keep it at about 2-4 ppm untill it goes to zero in 24 hours, then start testing for nitrite .

It still baffles me that you're getting a nitrate reading before nitrites. Are you following the instructions on shaking the hell out of bottle #2 for at least 30 seconds and then shaking the test vial for at least a minute?

It still baffles me that you're getting a nitrate reading before nitrites. Are you following the instructions on shaking the hell out of bottle #2 for at least 30 seconds and then shaking the test vial for at least a minute?

I agree . The only other thing is the tap water has nitrates .

I agree . The only other thing is the tap water has nitrates .

I used to have 5 ppm nitrate in my tap water. That was the lesser of two evils. I also had 1.0 ppm ammonia. It went on maybe 6-12 months. Then it suddenly cleared up.

I used to have 5 ppm nitrate in my tap water. That was the lesser of two evils. I also had 1.0 ppm ammonia. It went on maybe 6-12 months. Then it suddenly cleared up.

Any affect on livestock or did you take measures? Just curious.

Any affect on livestock or did you take measures? Just curious.

Did not observe any ill effects. I keep a low bioload. I did keep the water changes on the lower end (25-30%). Only once after doing a 75% WC I noticed trace ammonia and 0.5-1 ppm nitrite the next day. I think the combo of a low bioload, heavy plant mass, and mature biofilter kept things in check.
Your local water treatment facility should be able to provide a water analysis report. This can be especially helpful if they decide to add or increase the amount chloramines.

Did not observe any ill effects. I keep a low bioload. I did keep the water changes on the lower end (25-30%). Only once after doing a 75% WC I noticed trace ammonia and 0.5-1 ppm nitrite the next day. I think the combo of a low bioload, heavy plant mass, and mature biofilter kept things in check.
Your local water treatment facility should be able to provide a water analysis report. This can be especially helpful if they decide to add or increase the amount chloramines.

Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom