Fishless Cycling How long before ammonia starts going down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gunk

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone, so I started my fishless cylcle 6 days ago. Got ammonia up to 4. Been at a steady 4 all week (API Master Test Kit). I'm not running out of patience but just wondering when I should be expecting a decrease in ammonia. Thanks for any info

From what I understand it should be sometime in the second week. That's the majority opinion, but I've read so many articles, and time frames are all over the place. I guess it depends on many factors like tank size, your water parameters, whether you seeded, and on and on and on... lol.

It took 5 weeks for my 20 gallon to cycle fully. A lot of patience is needed for this hobby but so worth it in the end.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm not getting impatient at all. I was just curious so I could get an idea of when to expect some change. Thanks again!

It usually takes several weeks to see any nitrites. Typically, nitrates come after nitrites much faster than nitrites follow ammonia though.

Back
Top Bottom