Fishless cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What should the nitrite reading be?

Your nitrite reading will obviously depend on what stage your cycle is at.

If nitrite is dropping it shouldnt be far off complete. 2 months with established media is more than enough time to complete the cycle. I find the nitrite stage dramatic, i.e one day you have a substancial reading for nitrite and the next day it reads 0.

I would try and keep nitrite below 5ppm so you can keep track of the actual reading more easily. Keep an eye on your ph, I dont know exactly what causes it is but when the ammonia conversion takes place some forms of acid are released which will lower the ph of the tank and if your ph drops below 6 it can stall the cycle. I wouldnt worry about this though seeing as youre doing water changes.

Nitrite should read 0 once cycled. When you can add 3-4ppm of ammonia and its converted to nitrite and then into nitrAte in 24hrs your finished.

Last edited:
What did you use as seed bacteria? Did you get any 'dirty filter material' from anyone?

Not much. I don't know anyone who owns fish. I got a couple of plants from the fish store, maybe they had some on them. They were ignorant of fishless cycling and didn't want to give me any gravel, so I didn't ask for filter material because they would have thought I was mad. :)

I may go back tomorrow and see if I can buy another plant and ask if they'll put some gravel in the bag.

I find the nitrite stage dramatic, i.e one day you have a substantial reading for nitrite and the next day it reads 0.

ok that's good to know. I, personally, seem to be in the 'high nitrite' stage right now:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/test-your-water-chemistry-reading-skills-288438.html

I would try and keep nitrite below 5ppm so you can keep track of the actual reading more easily.

So would you recommend frequent water changes, if needed, just to keep the Nitrite readings below 5ppm (that's as high as the chart goes)?

I don't want to steal the thread... so you are welcome to reply here:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/test-your-water-chemistry-reading-skills-288438.html

Thanks!
-GD007

Your nitrite reading will obviously depend on what stage your cycle is at.

If nitrite is dropping it shouldnt be far off complete. 2 months with established media is more than enough time to complete the cycle. I find the nitrite stage dramatic, i.e one day you have a substancial reading for nitrite and the next day it reads 0.

I would try and keep nitrite below 5ppm so you can keep track of the actual reading more easily. Keep an eye on your ph, I dont know exactly what causes it is but when the ammonia conversion takes place some forms of acid are released which will lower the ph of the tank and if your ph drops below 6 it can stall the cycle. I wouldnt worry about this though seeing as youre doing water changes.

Nitrite should read 0 once cycled. When you can add 3-4ppm of ammonia and its converted to nitrite and then into nitrAte in 24hrs your finished.

Today was actually the 1st time I have tested nitrite (started the cycle on 12/2 and ammonia dropped to below 1ppm today, according to the fishless cycling thread you're supposed to start testing nitrites after ammonia drops to 1ppm). Nitrite was 1ppm. Thank you for your advice.

Just curious, if you've said it before I'm sorry I missed it, but what is your baseline? How much ammonia, nitrite, and nitrAte is in your tap water?

So would you recommend frequent water changes, if needed, just to keep the Nitrite readings below 5ppm (that's as high as the chart goes)?

It just makes it easier for new comers to understand and keep track of their cycles imo. I personally dont worry about nitrite readings while cycling as ive never had a problem with high nitrite effecting the cycle, nore have i had a problem with large ppms of ammonia. In some of my tanks ammonia has read 8ppm+ without problems with conversion. I cycle my tanks to 5ppm as a precaution as it's better to have cultivated more bacteria than is needed to sustain the ammonia waste production of the fish youre going to be adding rather than not enough. People say 5ppm is overkill and thats their opinion. I say at least i can garantee that whatever fish im adding wont produce more than 5ppm of waste daily which also means i can put more or all of the fish into the tank at the end of the cycle. It may lengthen the cycle alittle but its a small price to pay for a stable tank. I run/ran all my tanks for a month after the cycle is/was 'completed' to make sure the bb is has completely stabilized.

Cycles are scary to the new comer and weve all been there but the truth is it's actually extremely simple and mother nature will do the work for you.

Last edited:
Ok, I need some more help! I just tested the ammonia level and it is less than 1ppm (it's yellow). Nitrite is still 1ppm. The ammonia went from 4ppm (spiked it yesterday) to less than 1 ppm in a little less than 24 hours. I'm on the right track, correct?
(pH is 7.6)

Thanks!

Yep totally normal.
cut your ammonia dose in half and only do it every other day from here out.

Crap. I already added 2ml ammonia (to achieve 4ppm) earlier. Oh, well. Hopefully, it will drop back down to less than 1ppm tomorrow!

It's really no big deal either way

Thank you again.

I just checked the ammonia level and it has already dropped to less than 1ppm (I'm not sure exactly what level it's at because I lost my test card, ordered another kit from amazon). It is yellow, I'll see if I can post a pic soon. I spiked it 2ml yesterday at 5pm, so that's pretty quick.

The fishless cycling thread says to spike it to 4ppm every time the ammonia level drops to 1ppm. Why do you think I should add less and every other day? Thanks so much!

What is your Nitrite after 24 hours? Does that also go to zero (light blue)? Or is there purple?

The 1st time I checked nitrite on 12/9, it was at 1 ppm. It has stayed at 1ppm since (never light blue - has stayed the same shade of purple).

My daughter spotted 3 little snails in the tank today, haha! I guess they came with the plants.

@nonniecita: I'm a few days ahead of you in my cycle. I had a great sponsor of bacteria, though, from a goldfish breeder. I've not taken my nitrite readings today but, for me, they went to zero yesterday. I plan to taken them shortly...

Just checked my levels.

Ammonia- 0ppm

Nitrite- 5ppm (1 yesterday)

Nitrate- 10ppm (this will increase a lot, correct?)

I just got a Master test kit in the mail and was able to check nitrate for the first time today. Also, seeing the color card, I know realize the ammonia level has been dropping to 0 around every 12 hours.

Just checked my levels.

Ammonia- 0ppm

Nitrite- 5ppm (1 yesterday)

Nitrate- 10ppm (this will increase a lot, correct?)

I just got a Master test kit in the mail and was able to check nitrate for the first time today. Also, seeing the color card, I know realize the ammonia level has been dropping to 0 around every 12 hours.

Nitrate will increase a lot. Same with Nitrite. Once they get so high that they're off the color chart, do a 30-40% water change to bring them down to readable levels.

If you do the PWC and the levels are still not readable, just do another. I once had to do 4 water changes to get my levels readable. Stressful, but it will all be worth it in the end. :)

Okay, just wondering if I can get some more advice/thoughts.
Here's my tank's numbers:

Ph- 6.4

Ammonia-2.0 (varies according to ammonia added, I added 1ml ammonia yesterday when the tank was at 1ppm, it increased to 4ppm and is down to 2ppm now...it dropped quicker earlier on, so I don't know if this is a problem or not)

Nitrite-5.0 (maybe higher)

Nitrate- 5.0 (has stayed at this level for several days, does it take this long for the level to increase, it's been at 5ppm for a week or so)

Should I do a water change since my nitrite is at at least 5ppm? If so, how much?

Does it sound like everything is normal? Anything I can do to hasten the cycle? I was wanting it to be completed by Xmas.

I noticed my lfs store sells "live" sand. Could I buy a bit of that to help move things along?

Thanks!!!!!!

Your pH is low. Add some baking soda. About 1/4 tsp at a time.

When the cycle completes, your pH will even out and not be such an issue. Baking soda is a temporary fix for your cycle issues.

Your pH is low. Add some baking soda. About 1/4 tsp at a time.

When the cycle completes, your pH will even out and not be such an issue. Baking soda is a temporary fix for your cycle issues.

Thank you!

Do you think I should do a water change since nitrites are 5ppm (possibly higher, but definitely 5ppm)

Back
Top Bottom