Fishless Cycling Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Polarnick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’ve been doing a fishless cycle and my nitrites have been off the charts for a couple days now. I was reading that having too high nitrites can stall the cycle so I did a 50% water change but it was still off the charts. Should I leave it or keep trying to get it lower? I do have nitrates as well.

I’ve been doing a fishless cycle and my nitrites have been off the charts for a couple days now. I was reading that having too high nitrites can stall the cycle so I did a 50% water change but it was still off the charts. Should I leave it or keep trying to get it lower? I do have nitrates as well.

i just finished a fishless cycle, and i did one water change and it didnt do much, the nitrites eventually lowered themselves after about 1-2 weeks

Ok thanks I guess I’ll keep waiting, was hoping to get fish this weekend but I’ll probably have to wait a little longer than that

Probably 3-4 days, I wasn’t sure how long this took but my ammonia went from 4ppm to 0ppm in 2 days when I first dosed it, so I thought that there may already be some bacteria there and my cycle would be quicker than most others. I used eco complete and that comes with some bacteria so I just assumed mine would be faster than most.

Probably 3-4 days, I wasn’t sure how long this took but my ammonia went from 4ppm to 0ppm in 2 days when I first dosed it, so I thought that there may already be some bacteria there and my cycle would be quicker than most others. I used eco complete and that comes with some bacteria so I just assumed mine would be faster than most.

i give it probably 1-2 weeks before completely cycled maybe quicker but i doubt longer. just make sure you keep dosing ammonia! and once the cycle is complete since your nitrates are also maxed out probably id recommend doing a 100% water change the day of or the day before you get fish.

Yes I plan on doing that huge water change the day before, just waiting on these nitrites to drop off, I was adding 4ppm ammonia but now I’m adding around 2ppm every day because I want the nitrites to go down. Nitrates aren’t quite off the charts but they are on the high end

Yes I plan on doing that huge water change the day before, just waiting on these nitrites to drop off, I was adding 4ppm ammonia but now I’m adding around 2ppm every day because I want the nitrites to go down. Nitrates aren’t quite off the charts but they are on the high end

i think its better to do an 100% water change anyways, cause in my 29gal i couldn’t get them to drop below 40ppm even with an 85% water change test (you put 15% of tank water in the API tube and 85% source water in the tube, thatll give you an idea of what the outcome will be)

Back
Top Bottom