Fishless Cycling questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tigerstein

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK. I just set up a 20 gallon tank today with sand (I got very sandy and so did my bathtub!). It's my first time ever having sand in an aquarium, so if you guys have any tips that would be awesome! One of my questions was, the water's cloudy right now (as expected) so is it ok if I start putting ammonia in to cycle even though it's cloudy? And question about cycling do I continue to put in ammonia once nitrites show up and the ammonia is at zero?
THANKS!!!! Sorry for the stupid questions, there will probably be more later...

Pretty sure you can start putting the ammonia right now. The sand is more of a visual obstruction. As for the other question, yes you must, as to convert the ammonia to nitrites, the ammonia bacteria need the ammonia to convert it, so without ammonia, you won't get any nitrites. There must be ammonia at all time.

Thanks for replying so quick! I will put the ammonia in tomorrow! How much ammonia is there supposed to be? Isn't it like .5 ppm? I know it had a 5 in it...

Dose it to 4 ppm and test daily. When it starts to drop add mor ammonia to return it to 4 ppm

You could test your tap water to see if any ammonia is present.

alright sorry for all these annoying questions!!! you guys were really helpful thanks!

Currently, I house a Clown Knife Fish and an oscar, as well as a convict and a few goldfish.

Back
Top Bottom