Fishless cycling results help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HanSab

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, was wondering if some experienced people on here could help tell me if we're going in the right direction please? It's our first time setting up a freshwater aquarium, and unsure if the results we're getting are ok. It may just be that I need a big water change, or just more patience. Thanks for any advice!
Here are the last few results of the water tests:

Ammonia: 2ppm, 1ppm, 0.5ppm, 0.25ppm, 1ppm, 0.25ppm (can't seem to reach zero)

Nitrite:5ppm, 3ppm, 5ppm, 0.1ppm, 2.0ppm, 3.0ppm (why are these rising again after nearly hitting zero?)

Nitrate: 5ppm, 55ppm, 80ppm. (needs a water change to bring down?)

Current pH: 6.0 (should I raise this? how?)

Current temp: 82degrees (will lower a little when we add fish)

Bubble mode on filter.

64litres tank with FLuval U2 filter, led strip light on 10hrs a day, and some plants rooted in aquarium nutrient substrate. (no fish yet) Water and plants added around 4 weeks ago, been testing for past 3 weeks.

Thank you for any insights!
Hannah:thanks:

I would do a 50% water change to try to get the pH back up. The low pH slows down the cycling process. If you can't get the pH above 6.5 I would suggest adding a handfull of crushed coral in a filter bag into your filter.

Other than that it all looks good.

New results

I would do a 50% water change to try to get the pH back up. The low pH slows down the cycling process. If you can't get the pH above 6.5 I would suggest adding a handfull of crushed coral in a filter bag into your filter.

Other than that it all looks good.

Thank you Mebbid! So, I did a 50% water change this morning, and have retested levels this eve. Now, it's as follows:
Ammonia: 0ppm (!!! yipee!)
Nitrite: 0ppm (double yippee!)
Nitrates: hard to tell, but we think it's around the 40ppm mark. Definitely not as red as the 80ppm, but not much less than the 40 mark we think.
pH: looks like 6.8, which is what it started as when we first filled the tank.

So, am I right in thinking I should do another water change, perhaps 25% tonight or in the morning, to reduce the nitrites, and lower the temperature a little, before adding fish tomorrow (if all sounds ok?)

Or am I getting ahead of myself. Perhaps the ammonia and nitrite levels are only zero as they reduced so much from the water change or something, and it's a false zero reading???

Was hoping to add some mollies tomorrow, with the addition of some crushed coral if needs be, and a temperature reduction.

Thanks for any advice!
Hannah

bogwood

Also, I've had a piece of bogwood soaking for the past 3 weeks, to try to remove the tannins and reduce the chance of acidifying the water. The water it's in still goes brown within a day or so of it being in fresh water - should it be ok to go in the tank now, or do I need to leave it until the water stays clear when it's put in fresh water? Knowing my pH may be a little low for fish, perhaps adding it now is a good idea anyway?
Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Hannah:thanks:

After the water change dose with ammonia again. Only if within 24 hours after dosing that ammonia & nitrites test as 0ppm is the tank cycled.

After the water change dose with ammonia again. Only if within 24 hours after dosing that ammonia & nitrites test as 0ppm is the tank cycled.

Thank you Britty :flowers: - I didn't do that after the water change, but did after testing this eve. Hoping to have another zero reading tomorrow eve, and then we're hopefully good to go. After reading the guide to fishless cycling on here again (many times - it's so helpful!), I am hoping it's then just a 90% water change and temperature reduction before adding fish the next day. Just the pH to sort out then. Have read about adding bicarb, which sounds the simplest idea.
Hannah

Back
Top Bottom