Fishless Cycling Status

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So yesterday I did a PWC... about 90-95%. Re-dosed the Ammonia to 2PPM last night. Results today --

Day 17 - NH3 0, N02 5.0, N03 20, PH 8.1, Temp 84. To test N02 I added .5 ml tank water and 4.5 ml tap. Result was 0.5 x 10 = 5.0PPM. If it starts to rise significantly again, I'll do another PWC. On a positive note, my N03 tested at 20 PPM (hard to tell color exactly). I didn't believe the test, so I re-tested with the same result... somewhere around 20 PPM. This seems significant to me as I've never really tested much above 5PPM and also because my tap is 5PPM and I just replaced @ 95% of the water yesterday. Maybe the conversion is happening. Should I just dose the NH3 to 1 or 2 PPM for a couple days before stepping it back up to 4PPM?

It's up to you, it doesn't matter either way. You could dose to 1-2 for 1-2 days to try to let the bacteria catch up and then go back to 4. It's normal that nitrites rose to 5 again. I wouldn't worry about another pwc unless your PH crashes again or nitrites stay high for a significant amount of time.

Day 18 - NH3 0, N02 10, N03 35, PH 7.8, Temp 84. Nitrites aren't falling but Nitrates are finally rising. I'm hoping this will all be done in the next week or so.

Updated Results:

Day 19 NH3 0 N02 20 N03 35 PH 7.90 Temp 82
Day 20 NH3 0 N02 20 N03 40 PH 7.90 Temp 82
Day 21 NH3 0 N02 20 N03 40 PH 7.90 Temp 82
Day 22 NH3 0 N02 40 N03 80 PH 7.80 Temp 80
Day 23 NH3 0 N02 20 N03 No Test PH 7.70 Temp 80
Day 24 NH3 0 N02 10 N03 No Test PH 7.60 Temp 80

Look like I'm just about done? N02 is really starting to fall. When I test tonight, I'll test N03 which I expect will be off the charts. I'm also betting that N02 will be 5PPM or less. I re-dosed to 2PPM on Days 19-20 (after the big 90% WC), and took it back up to 4PPM the last 4 days. Hoping to add fish next weekend.

Day 25 NH3 0, N02 4 N03 160+ PH 6.80 Temp 80

Nitrites continue to come down, unfortunately my PH also sank from 7.6 to 6.8 overnight. I immediately did a 35% WC (all I have time for), and will test tomorrow to see if more WC is needed. Seems like this PH drop is coinciding with the steep drop in Nitrite.

By adding .5ml tank water and 4.5ml tap (0 NO2) water to test tube and then multiplying the test result by 10. Using API Master Test Kit. I started doing this awhile back to gain more visibility. Last night, the result was in between .25 and .50 (closer to 0.50) x 10 = 4PPM NO2. Testing a full 5ml of tank water shows a result right around 4PPM, thus validating the method.

Day 26 NH3 0, NO2 0, N03 300, PH 7.5, Temp 80.

Looks like I'm cycled! I'm planning on adding fish this Friday... should I continue to dose to 4PPM until Wednesday and then do all the big WC's on Thursday to get rid of the nitrates? Or should I step the ammonia down lower than 4PPM.

Thanks,
Scott

what I did was dose to about 1-2ppm just to keep the good bacteria alive. The day before fish or the day of getting fish do a 100% water change to get NitrAtes lower than 20ppm. Then of course stop dosing when you get the fish., and enjoy!

Day 27 - NH3 0, NO2 0, PH 7.8, Temp 80 (2nd day of NO2 at 0 after re-dosing NH3).

I think I'm going to try a 100% water change tonight and then do another 50% or so if needed on Thursday night.

Question about PH -- As my PH crashed when NO2 really started to fall (few days ago), I did a 35% or so water change. PH rebounded to 7.5 (as my tap is 8.3 PH after sitting 24 hours). Now today, it is back up to 7.8. Is it normal for the PH to revert to norm once the cycle is complete? Not sure how that works, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
Scott

Hey congrats! Looks like you are cycled! Yes it's normal for the PH to go back to normal once the tank cycles. Just keep an eye on it and make sure it stays stable (it should unless your water is low in buffering capacity).

You could keep dosing to 4 or dose lower, it's up to you, it'll go to 0 after 24 hours so it won't matter either way. The day before you get fish to a 100% water change to get the nitrate down (depending on how high it is you may have to do more than one pwc; just try to get it as low as you can, definitely under 10), and turn down your heater. Don't dose ammonia the night before you get fish. :)

Do a YouTUbe search for "drip acclimation." It'll show you the best way to acclimate new fish to your tank. Keep up with a weekly water change (50% is good), test the water periodically to be sure it's stable and keep the substrate clean, don't overfeed and you should do well. :) Pics of your fish when you get them are always appreciated. :D

So I did a 95% WC last night and then re-dosed to 3PPM. Todays readings are NH3 0, NO2 0, NO3 30, PH 7.8, Temp 80. I guess I'll re-dose tonight, and then do another big WC tomorrow night to hopefully pull the NO3 down to around 5-10 (My tap water is 5 PPM).

Looks very good! Just remember to NOT dose the tank with ammonia the night before you get fish and turn the temperature down to about 77-78 for most tropical fish. :) Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom