fishless cycling? What do I need to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK I have been reading a lot on here about fishless cycling and it really seems the way I want to go for many reasons.

So can I just set up my tank and let it run for two weeks....then test it and see where it is?

I posted previously today about my new setup....I am not quite ready to set everything up yet, stil acquiring everything I need at this point, still deciding on the gravel/river rock/sand debate.....but can someone tell me what comees next?

So I set up my tank and let it run a while(like 2-3 weeks)...then test it.....then add fish? Is it that easy? I need mroe info....any resource links would be helpful too...I read something about adding amonia to the tank yourself?

I really dont want to harm any fish in the process of cycling and wont stock it until its really ready....can anyone tell me the ideal conditions after cycling is complete? Or how to tell when it is complete?

I love this site by the way, it's awesome!
:D

Hi and welcome to AA !!! This IS an awesome site, I agree with you - its saved me tons of heartache :)
A fishless cycle isn't quite as easy as you've described, but its a heck of a lot easier than trying to cycle with fish (and faster in the long run)

The goal of a fishless cycle is to establish the "good bacteria" in your tank before you add fish. There are two types of bacteria needed - one that converts ammonia (produced in urine and from fish respiration) to nitrites, the second converts nitrites to nitrates. Ammonia is the most toxic, nitrites are also toxic but not as immediately deadly as nitrites, nitrates are the least toxic and are removed by Partial Water Changes (PWCs).
In order to get the bacteria to grow you need to add a food source - ammonia. That can be done by either placing a raw shrimp (from the grocery store) into the tank or by dosing pure ammonia (if you're in the States then you'd probably want to use the ACE Hardware Janitorial ammonia, since its known to not have any additives that grocery store brands might have).
Here are two articles for you to read. The first is on the nitrogen cycle. The second is on how to do a fishless cycle (ignore the fact that it says "saltwater" - the same technique applies to freshwater)
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

Wow...thanks! That will help tremendously and save a lot of heartache. I never thought of the raw shrimp....that seems easier for sure.....are we talking about any raw shrimp? one small one?....I guess I should read the articles and then ask more questions if I have them. :)

Thanks again!

No problem - enjoy the hobby !

Any raw shrimp from the grocery store will do. What size tank do you have ? I used a medium sized (35 shrimp/lb size) shrimp for my 29 gallon.

Liquid ammonia is preferential to shrimp since you can accurately monitor the amount of ammonia put into the tank. A hybrid way to do this would be to use the raw shrimp and monitor your ammonia levels. When the levels get above 3ppm, pull out the shrimp (freeze it or throw it out), and wait until you have very low ammonia. Then put the shrimp back in (or put in a new one) and repeat until you can get 1-2ppm ammonia converted completely to nitrAte in under 24hours. With that level of bacteria you can stock your tank comfortably.

Here is my thoughts on cycling with the shrimp.

Set everything up, dechlorinate the water and let it run for a day or two until the temperatures stabilize. Good idea to make the temp higher that than you would when you add your fish. The bacteria will increase in number faster at a higher temperature and the shrimp will rot faster.

The shrimp will start to rot and give off ammonia, the bacteria will start to grow that feed on the ammonia, after about two weeks the ammonia levels in your tank will go to zero and you will see nitrites start to rise. The fact that you no longer test positive for ammonia does not mean there is no ammonia being produced, just that you have a large enough colony of bacteria to process all the ammonia your rotting shrimp are producing.

The nitrites will climb to a certain point and then start to drop as well. When they reach zero you are cycled. You will have some nitrate reading, probably pretty high.

At that point remove the shrimp, do a massive water change to remove the nitrate and you can start stocking.

The major drawback is you will not know how much ammonia you can process, just that you have enough of a bacteria colony to handle the waste produced by two decomposing shrimp.

You will have enough to handle a a few fish and you will have to stock slowly adding fish every two weeks or so until you reach your desired stocking level.

There is no reason to remove the shrimp or do anything for that matter until you have zero ammonia and zero nitrites.

Cycling with shrimp is not a perfect scientific exercise but it does work. I have done it on more than one occassion.

Rich,

The reason why I mentioned removing the shrimp after reaching an established ammonia level is so that you can see the amount of bacteria present based on how long it takes to reach a baseline. Actually scratch my previous idea and just place the shrimp in some tank water in a cup for a day or so and then just dump it back in the tank once you know the rate of consumption.

If you find out that your converting 1-2ppm ammonia to nitrAte in 24hours or less, you most definately can almost stock a tank completely.

That is a great thought 7. Gives you a better idea of where you are in the cycle and what you can handle.

Wow, thanks! Sounds like you guys have this down to a science! I have just recalled that I have a sister in law who lives 2 hours from me who has several Freshwater Tanks and I think she could probalby give me something to help things along....any suggestions on that? Should I get a filter pad, or some rocks from her....and if I do, would I still add the amonia or raw shrimp? Or just put in her stuff and start water testing?

Get filter pads first and gravel second, both is even better. You will still need the ammonia or shrimp but the whole thing will go much faster with the seeded material. Make sure to keep whatever you get wet the whole time.

GREAT advice guys....THANKS! I really appreciate it, I feel like I am armed with a wealth of knowledge now and best of all I feel like I have gotten practical advice from people who have actually DONE this, not just some guy getting paid min wage who read a book once.....

Thanks a million!

Back
Top Bottom