Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2003, 08:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to dash_0210
fishless cyling step by step

im starting with a 60 gallon tank using a power filter...please give me a step by step on how to get around with this...and how long will it take to complete..thanx

Old 07-09-2003, 09:00 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Get the filter, heater, and any other equipment running. Buy a shrimp from the grocery store and toss it in the tank. Let it rot in there. Have your ammonia and nitrite test kits ready. Once nitrites have subsided, you can start to add fish. I'd do a 40-50% water change before adding fish though. You're looking at an average of about 6 weeks for the cycle to complete. This is an average so yours may be shorter or longer by a couple of weeks. I believe there is an article here about this. Look on the home page under the "articles" link.

Old 07-09-2003, 09:06 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I believe using the pure ammonia method will get you faster results, and the ability to fully stock your tank when complete. if you plan on stocking slowly and don't mind waiting a week or two longer, go with the shrimp method.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:20 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to dash_0210
thanks guys logan and paul for that quick reply..that shrimp method reminded me of my pet lobster....hes bout 3 inches geared with an inch long claw. can i place him on the same tank with the goldfish????
Old 07-09-2003, 12:27 PM   #5

Or you can take a piss into the tank, I heard some hillbillies do that to start the ammonia cycle...
Old 07-09-2003, 12:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

You may want to look into getting some Bio-Spira. Tis the only thing on the market sure to kick-start your nitrogen cycle. Cycle also kick-starts the nitrogen cycle, but its performance is iffy. Seems the refrigerated Bio-Spira is more reliable then the shelf stored Cycle. Both contain the nitrifying bacteria needed to convert ammonia and nitrites (make sure they have a supply of them in the tank before using, if you decide to purchase and try it).

Tags
fishless

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com