Fishless tank is cloudy?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cags

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi

I'm relatively new to keeping fish. I was given a single fancy tail Oranda goldfish in a 25l tank and just bought a 110l tank to transfer it into. I've filled up the tank and got the filter and pump running. I added some 'filter booster', but no fish yet... thought I'd wait a day until the temperature of the tank settled. But, now the fishless tank water is cloudy... is it safe to put my Oranda in there? Is this just part of the cycling of the tank (even though I don't have any fish, only gravel in the tank?

I'd really appreciate some help, as I am keen to move my Oranda as its current tank is too small, but I don't want to move it into an environment that would create more problems for it!

Advice/help needed by those in the know please!
Thanks
Cags

Hi and welcome! First of all way to go for getting your fish a larger tank :). Secondly more info would be helpful. What type of filtration are you using? What type of substrate do you have? There is a great sticky on fish-in cycling is this section. It certainly can be done safely. Do you have a test kit?

Set up info

Hi Reygan2

My set up is 110ltr Juwel Rekord tank with internal biofilter. I only have new gravel in the tank at the moment. When I move my fish, I'll transfer the gravel from that tank along with a couple of plants and an ornament. I think I'll attach the old filter as well. I don't have any other substrate, but will probably purchase something when the tank is up and running. It's just a fishless tank at the moment with gravel at the bottom... is there more information that would be helpful?

Many thanks
Cags

Hi Reygan2

My set up is 110ltr Juwel Rekord tank with internal biofilter. I only have new gravel in the tank at the moment. When I move my fish, I'll transfer the gravel from that tank along with a couple of plants and an ornament. I think I'll attach the old filter as well. I don't have any other substrate, but will probably purchase something when the tank is up and running. It's just a fishless tank at the moment with gravel at the bottom... is there more information that would be helpful?

Many thanks
Cags

How long was the fish in the tank it's in now? It's a good idea to move everything into the new tank to help get the cycle going. Do you have a water testing kit? That's pretty much a must have with fishkeeping.

Thanks. My goldie is 6 months old and has been in the tank all that time. I've got a water testing strip, but it does not include ammonia test. I will get some more from the pet store. Many thanks for your help!

Thanks. My goldie is 6 months old and has been in the tank all that time. I've got a water testing strip, but it does not include ammonia test. I will get some more from the pet store. Many thanks for your help!

Hi cags

Cloudy water will happen almost always when filling up a fresh tank with water. It is known as a bacterial bloom and it is the abundance of heterotrophic bacteria suspended in the water column as they try to find a surface area to settle. Once they settle the water will go crystal clear.

There is said to be reduced oxygen levels during the bacterial bloom. How much this would effect the fish I am unsure. Probably not much however, I would wait till the water clears up anyway then add some gravel, ornaments and most importantly the filter sponge. These will all make for a safer fish in cycle as they already contain the bacteria required for the nitrogen cycle and the cycle will complete much quicker if not instantly.

You can then move the goldfish over.

Drip acclimate the goldfish slowly to the new tank and use a liquid test kit to check water parameters over the next week or so.

Immediate cloudiness from filling up a tank is from the sediments from the substrate that haven't settled. That's too soon to be a bacterial bloom IMHO. From what it sounds like the tank had just been filled which is why I was wondering what type of sub was added to the new tank and if it had been rinsed. That will go away on its on. There aren't many, if any, reliable "instant cycling" products. You can move fish, gravel, deco and filter over to the new tank at the same time, but you really need to get a liquid testing kit as soon as you possibly can. API has a good one. It includes an ammonia test. Just watch your ammonia and nitrite closely for a while, these are toxic to fish and you will need to perform water changes accordingly. Please do not hesitate to ask questions!

Back
Top Bottom