FishlessCycle Surface Foaming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayann

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Up until today I have not noticed any issues of foam gathering at the edges of the surface. Over the past 2 days, I have removed crushed coral and left it out completely. I have also done a 25% water change and a 50% water change to try and get my pH levels in a desirable range for the fishless cycle. Now today, I am getting a very thin foam along the surface edge. It is not something that is consistantly foaming along all the edges. Only a strip of it on the front end of the tank and a small area on the left side of the tank. I am attaching pictures to try and give a better idea. I am using ACE Hardware Ammonia as has been highly suggested and it does not bubble or foam at all upon shaking. . I did in fact re-dose the ammonia last night as it had dropped down to 1ppm. Aside from that and the water changes, I am at a loss as to what is creating this foam. I have tried scooping it out with no luck since it is such a thin film. The pictures seem to make it look much larger than it is but I think that is because they are taken so close up. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? I always make sure my hands are clean and free of soap or lotions when working with the tank. Should I try to do another water change to try and help keep it down? Or, should I just not worry about it until my cycle has completed? Even if I leave it alone till then and it remains, how will I be able to get rid of it? Thanks in advance for any advice, suggestions and help!

l1c8.jpg

vmku.jpg

8umd.jpg

liao.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like bubbles collecting from either a bubbler or your filter. At least it does to me from the pics.

Looks like bubbles collecting from either a bubbler or your filter. At least it does to me from the pics.

This was my initial thought too. Especially by the way it is not happening around the entire edge. The bubbles do seem to be directly in line with where the airation ends up hitting the surface. I will keep my eye on it and see if it is something that continues just in those areas or if it starts to gather all along each wall. Thanks for the response!

I noticed today the foam looks quite a bit different than it did yesterday. The pics from yesterday were taken after I had already tried to scoop it out so it seems it dissipated into a nice thin line covering the length of the front of the tank and a small amount on the side of the tank. Today, the foam seems to be gathering back together as it was when I found it which is quite a bit different. The only thing that is the same is the locations. One is on the front end of the tank but now gathers in just a small area. Same for the one on the side. Same location but gathered all into a bunch instead. I am enclosing more pics. I hope they help! Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

atxf.jpg

0lok.jpg

qkpw.jpg

Which dechlorinator are you using? I forget which one I was using when I started my fishless cycle (not prime) but i did double dose & had bubbles/foam like you.

Which dechlorinator are you using? I forget which one I was using when I started my fishless cycle (not prime) but i did double dose & had bubbles/foam like you.

I am using Seachem Prime. I did my initial dose to treat the full volume and for water changes, I am dosing the volume of the water to be added prior to putting it in the tank. This is what I gathered was correct from the instructions on the bottle but I have read that others treat the full tank volume each time. Do you think this has something to do with it?

Back
Top Bottom