Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2008, 03:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Fishy cycling... how long before ammonia shows up?

I've just started a cycle in a new tank 5 days ago. I have 4 small Giant Danios helping me get the cycle going in a 46 gallon bow front tank. Feeding them a small pinch of Tetra Min flakes twice a day.

Daily ammonia tests have been showing 0 PPM, still after 5 days.

Tested the Nitrites for the first time today as well and they are testing at 0 PPM as well.

What's a typical wait time before seeing ammonia show up?

Is it possible I need a few more Danios in this size tank? If so, how long should I wait before adding a couple more fish.

Thanks.

-Dave

Old 01-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

It took almost 2 weeks with 2 goldfish (babies) in my 10 gal tank before my NH3 spike, with 5 danios in a 48 I would say it will take rather longer.

Although you can increase the bioload to hasten things, it is also more stressful for the fish as you would ahve a higher spike. If you have the patience, you can stay the course & wait. Someone here did an ultra-low bioload fishie cycling and managed to cycle a tank in about 60 days, but without any NH3 or NO2 spikes. This is stress free for the fish .... but 60 days is a looooong time!

Tags
ammonia, cycling, long

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com