fishy problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raymond.1963

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi my names ray my first thread i have a 20gal tank trouble is i realy like fish i think i might have too many my tank is filtered by a tetratec 700 it has been running now for 6 weeks in and already running tank the tank is fully half planted and i run co2 for them the touble is my ammonia levels keep creeping up to keep it at zero i change 8L every 2 days i have 1 4inch plec 1 4inch blue lobster 6 guppies 2 mollies 3 platties 1 iridesent shark and an angel fish 3 corys 2 horsehead loaches they are all healthy and my tank is very active how can i get my ammonia under control

Welcome to the forum.

Your tank is severely overstocked. Half of your fish need much larger tanks. That's one of the reasons you have ammonia. The other is that, at 6 weeks, unless you cycled it with seeded filter media, the tank is not cycled.

Please explain how you came about having this small tank with all of these fish. Then we can further help. Thanks!

raymond.1963 said:
hi my names ray my first thread i have a 20gal tank trouble is i realy like fish i think i might have too many my tank is filtered by a tetratec 700 it has been running now for 6 weeks in and already running tank the tank is fully half planted and i run co2 for them the touble is my ammonia levels keep creeping up to keep it at zero i change 8L every 2 days i have 1 4inch plec 1 4inch blue lobster 6 guppies 2 mollies 3 platties 1 iridesent shark and an angel fish 3 corys 2 horsehead loaches they are all healthy and my tank is very active how can i get my ammonia under control

WAY!!!! To many fish, that's the first prbolem.

ive had my fish for 10 months and were all small in the begining i now know every thing is getting cramped i am looking for new corner tank 190L or bigger i test my water twice a week and and keep under control with small waterchanges how do you teel when your tank is cycled and will another filter help

ive googled a lot and i realy dont mind the work involved in keeping my fish i realise how big the shark and plec are going to get i am planing to go biigger now but i dont want to go from 20gal to massive in one go my mrs would kill me is 50 gal not enough

Even with a 50 gallon tank, IMO the shark, pleco, and crayfish need to go. The crayfish could stay by itself in the 20 gallon but if you keep it with your other fish chances are they will be eaten eventually. Crayfish are nocturnal predators. The shark and pleco just grow far too large for even a 50 gallon tank, and they need a new home.

If you rehome the shark, cray, and pleco, you could probably make it work in a 50 with what you'd have left.

fish problems

i will rehome plec and shark but not my bruce (cray) ive spent so much time replanting and putting my sand back where it should be but he has not had any fish yet does it make any difference if i use biiger fiters

i've got a 4inch cray (aka electric blue lobstahhhh) in my african tank & my girl loves him but i'm terrified he's gonna snag a fish.. they've been together for months now but i'm still worried lol

he might have to get the boot soon just for peace of mind :-/

GOOD LUCK w/ yours!!

i will rehome plec and shark but not my bruce (cray) ive spent so much time replanting and putting my sand back where it should be but he has not had any fish yet does it make any difference if i use biiger fiters

Sometimes it's not a matter of filter quality or quantity, sometimes it's simply a matter of room. You have no room for the species you want to keep. This is not fair to the fish. And that's what fishkeeping is all about. If you want to have a tank that's lower maintenance, worry free and one that you can sit back and just enjoy, you really have to choose species carefully.

Back
Top Bottom